pens plus over ca?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

Is there a point using pens plus after ca? i made a pen a few months ago and in order to fill some tiny cracks and seal the wood i used just a coat of ca glue. when cured i sanded most of it and i finished the pen with PP on top the very thin coat of ca. I suppose that PP would stick to ca but is there a point doing so. the pen is used daily but i cannot tell if the PP is still there or i am seeing the ca. has anyone done something similar?cheers

MRDucks2

I have used Renaissance Wax over a lot of finishes and materials to reduce fingerprints at shows. I have applied Pens Plus over Alumilite Clear pens in and effort to increase shine but did not stick with it as I found better ways to finish.

jttheclockman

I probably should not even be answering this question because I have no knowledge of Pen Plus. But from what I understand there are various formulas of Pen Plus. The one I looked up has walnut oil, shellac and wax in it and it is a friction polish. First let me say it is a top coating finish and put it in the category as a personal choice finish as all other are here. To get to my point is there should be no reason to use the CA. If you are filling in grain or defects then maybe a CA will be helpful. But unless you get back down to wood so the shellac in the PP formula can adhere well it can crack off because it is mixed with wax. That changed the properties of shellac. That is why they sell dewaxed shellac. Again just not knowing the concoction and blend it is hard to make a definite determination. You are better off staying with one or the other. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom