pens from new year's day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

Did some casting Sat and sun and some turning on Monday. Comments welcome: Good, bad, or indifferent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice indeed !!!! ... there seems to be a darkened ring at both the top and bottom of the big clicker and it looks like they have been done purposely, perhaps to add interest.
How do you do that ?

OZturner

Terrific Pens, Don,
The Click Pen is a great way to display a Magnificent Blank,
Love the Caped Pen, Looks Majestic, yet Slightly Frightening.
Again, Great Fit and Finish,
Congratulations,
Brian.

its_virgil

One end of the blank had an issue so I parted off about the two ends with my 1/8 inch parting tool..maybe a little over 1/8 inch. I found a piece of smokey/gray buckeye burl which was as close to the color of the skin as I could find. I drilled a piece of the buckeye for the clicker tube, squired the end on my disc sander, sliced off a piece and glued it to the end to replace the parted off material. Did the same on the other end. I just hated to not use the blank. Ldet me know if my explanation makes sense. I can supply pictures but will have to find some showing the process.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

'
Very nice indeed !!!! ... there seems to be a darkened ring at both the top and bottom of the big clicker and it looks like they have been done purposely, perhaps to add interest.
How do you do that ?

magpens

That's a perfectly clear explanation, Don ... Thank You !!!

I never thought of buckeye burl ... but it can have similar coloration and patterns , in some ways, to the snakeskin, so it is an ideal choice.

I was even imagining I could see the snake scale pattern in the two end pieces !

Good Match ... Well done !!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom