Jeer Penn State

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjester

I ordered some blanks from Penn State, which were - and still are - listed on the website as "in stock, ready to ship." They charged my card the same day. A week later, they still haven't bothered to ship them.

I understand that this is a busy season. Even so, everybody else I've ordered from has managed to ship within a day or two. And this isn't the first time I've waited over a week for Penn State to ship. I think I'm done ordering from them direct. "In stock, but can't be bothered to ship" isn't any better than out of stock.

Also, I made a PSI seamripper necklace (ordered via Exotic Blanks, who do ship promptly). The necklace chain is junk. Not only is it a coarse, ugly chain that doesn't hang cleanly - it's weak. My wife broke it gently untangling it out of the package. How's it supposed to hold up to having the seam ripper pulled off of it regularly? This is a gift, so we've spent the money to put a nice chain on it. Glad I'm not trying to sell it.

JimB

The credit card is automated and doesn't have anything to do with shipping. However, I do agree your order is taking longer than it should.

Bikerdad

The credit card is automated and doesn't have anything to do with shipping. However, I do agree your order is taking longer than it should.

That it's automated and has nothing to do with shipping is a business decision that the COMPANY has made. In short, the gap between charging and shipping is ALL on them. 100% their responsibility. That they choose to loosely couple charging and shipping is, in fact, generally a sign that they don't care much about their customers, or they are entirely too optimistic about their processes.

:bad:

Herb G

Call your CC company & dispute the charge. That's the only way you'll get your money back. PSI certainly will not refund it on their own accord.

JimB

That it's automated and has nothing to do with shipping is a business decision that the COMPANY has made. In short, the gap between charging and shipping is ALL on them. 100% their responsibility. That they choose to loosely couple charging and shipping is, in fact, generally a sign that they don't care much about their customers, or they are entirely too optimistic about their processes.

:bad:

You should go back and read my very short comment. I did agree with the OP that is was taking longer than it should.

cjester

Call your CC company & dispute the charge. That's the only way you'll get your money back. PSI certainly will not refund it on their own accord.

The orders always turn up eventually. I'm just irritated at how long they often take to get them out the door.

jttheclockman

The orders always turn up eventually. I'm just irritated at how long they often take to get them out the door.

I do not understand something, if you have had this problem before and you have known of the situation why, why, why do you keep going back. If you like what Ed sells buy from him. There are other PSI sellers also. Try them. :confused:

cjester

I do not understand something, if you have had this problem before and you have known of the situation why, why, why do you keep going back. If you like what Ed sells buy from him. There are other PSI sellers also. Try them. :confused:

They were the only place that had what I wanted in stock. I tried other preferred vendors first.

Skie_M

Never had a problem like this (so far) from PSI or any other company I've ordered from till recently ...

Not PSI, but it's this company out in china that is shipping me an item I had ordered...

ZFE 3-pack of 30x Diamond coated burr bits for Dremel or other rotary tools for 16 dollars... There will be 3 of each bit in the package (it comes as a 3-pack, so 90 dremel bits total).

Latest update: Wednesday, Dec 21
11:20 PM
Package arrived at a carrier facility
HuBeiShengWuHanShi GJYYZX
Carrier: China Post, Tracking #: LT626246532CN

been sitting there for nearly 1 full week. :)

Delivery still shows as "on time" and expected between Dec 29th and Jan 5th .... wonder if that's gonna be 2018?

Oh ... and my Suminagashi water marbling paint and rice paper order was placed on the 23rd of Dec ....

Ordered Dec 23
Expected to ship Dec 28
Arriving Dec 30, 2016 - Jan 2, 2017

Not even shipped yet ... I guess they are either out of stock or out for Christmas break.

Last edited:

MDWine

It seems "back in the day" that we had regular representation from many of the stores we dealt with. I think I remember folks from Penn and other companies logging into the forum to talk to folks, make offers and provide discounts.

They would also address issues and complaints like this!

I wonder if they still log in at all... or is my memory faulty?

Skie_M

Making bets like that without actually betting anything wont get you anything .... you really should make a wager! :)

For instance ... try saying that you bet they won't pop in here to chat with you, and if you lose you'll place another order with them in the next month?

Well, I went ahead and dropped a line over at PSI for Mr Levy to drop by and see what he can do for you guys... sometimes it's good to have a civil talk with the boss and work out the problem before things get out of hand, ya know? :)

They may be on Christmas break right now or something, hope they got someone watching their emails. :)

Last edited:

jttheclockman

If you are ordering from China there is no time table for delivery. It could be any time. I have ordered from China before and gotten packages a month after when they were due. Good luck with that.

Skie_M

Actually, I got one of those packages today .... earliest slated delivery was supposed to be the 30th of Dec, but it arrived in the mail today.

I put another thread up with a cheer for Hobby Tool Supply ... strangely enough, the tracking still reads as somewhere in China ... lol!

Terredax

Banned
Join the club my friend. They lost this customer when they told me
my piddly orders didn't matter to them.

The reason your "piddly orders" don't matter, is the fact they don't create the revenue. They have so many re-sellers now, that is who they work to satisfy. The re-sellers purchase thousands of dollars at a time as opposed to an individual order of up to several hundred.

Yes, money can be saved by purchasing through the re-sellers, but that is also reinforcing their bad service to the individuals. By purchasing their products through another source, they are still getting your money. If people wouldn't support their company at all, then change will happen.

Herb G

For instance ... try saying that you bet they won't pop in here to chat with you, and if you lose you'll place another order with them in the next month?
Well, I went ahead and dropped a line over at PSI for Mr Levy to drop by and see what he can do

I won't bother saying that because I won't be ordering from them again. Period. End of story. They got their last dime out of me.
Good luck getting anyone over there to say they screwed up and actually admitting it. :tongue:

If it helps anyone, I had to file a dispute with Paypal to get my money back from the nasty bastids. If someone spoke to me in person like they did to me over the phone, they'd be in bad shape.
I'll leave it at that. :mad:

BKelley

I have read horror stories about PSI. As for my self, I have always had good shipping from them. I never order online, but via telephone. The personnel there are courteous and business like. Only time I had I could fault them was when they advertised cellioud pen blanks that were acrylic. I called them and the answer was Cellioud is a plastic and so is acrylic. They offered a refund which I turned down and used the blank. Next catalog from them, the word cellioud was changed to acrylic. Sorry you had an issue with them.

Ben

psilevy

Response to shipping / delivery problem

Dear Penn State customer, fist of all we appreciate your business and apologize that delivery did not meet your expectation. however to explain, let me give our side of the story and the chronology of your order:

1) You placed your order on-line at 2:56pm on Monday Dec 19th (by the way, XMAS week is by far the busiest time of the year for on and off-line sales in any season). At 2:56 it was impossible for us to ship the same day because the Postal Service will not accept packages after about 2:30 at our facility.

2) We shipped your package by USPS Priority mail the next day. If you check your tracking of the package, we shipped the package Tuesday Dec 20th and was accepted at the USPS facility Tuesday night. (The postal service is always overwhelmed around Xmas and buyers should anticipate a day or 2 extra delay.)

3) We're talking Xmas week here, and it took the postal service 4 business days (in the busiest week of the year) to deliver your package on Saturday at 12:32- Christmas eve day. I noticed your post was made at 11:43am that day so the offending package arrived at your mailbox less than 1 hour after your post.

I can send screen shot documents of everything I've explained above in case there is some other kind of misunderstanding. We always expect delays in packing/shipping and delivery this time of year and we actually published on-line and in our catalog that someone in your State should have ordered by Dec 16th to assure delivery by Xmas.

I hope members of the IAP will understand my company's response to your post and appreciate that there are 2 sides to every story.

cjester

Dear Penn State customer, fist of all we appreciate your business and apologize that delivery did not meet your expectation. however to explain, let me give our side of the story and the chronology of your order:

1) You placed your order on-line at 2:56pm on Monday Dec 19th (by the way, XMAS week is by far the busiest time of the year for on and off-line sales in any season). At 2:56 it was impossible for us to ship the same day because the Postal Service will not accept packages after about 2:30 at our facility.

2) We shipped your package by USPS Priority mail the next day. If you check your tracking of the package, we shipped the package Tuesday Dec 20th and was accepted at the USPS facility Tuesday night. (The postal service is always overwhelmed around Xmas and buyers should anticipate a day or 2 extra delay.)

3) We're talking Xmas week here, and it took the postal service 4 business days (in the busiest week of the year) to deliver your package on Saturday at 12:32- Christmas eve day. I noticed your post was made at 11:43am that day so the offending package arrived at your mailbox less than 1 hour after your post.

I can send screen shot documents of everything I've explained above in case there is some other kind of misunderstanding. We always expect delays in packing/shipping and delivery this time of year and we actually published on-line and in our catalog that someone in your State should have ordered by Dec 16th to assure delivery by Xmas.

I hope members of the IAP will understand my company's response to your post and appreciate that there are 2 sides to every story.

I never received a shipping notice, and did not see any shipping information through order tracking on the website.

I've been on the road since then, so I'm glad to know it's waiting for me when I get home today.

oldtoolsniper

I never received a shipping notice, and did not see any shipping information through order tracking on the website.

I've been on the road since then, so I'm glad to know it's waiting for me when I get home today.

WOW! As someone who runs a small business this kind of stuff drives me nuts.

The customer complains about the company

The company responded and detailed everything they did to ship the customers purchase practically down to the minute. Very reasonable and very professional.

The customer
I wasn't home anyway, I didn't actually need it for SIX more days. I didn't know it didn't get delivered because I wasn't home. The post office failed to send me a delivery notice. Glad it's there waiting for me.

Most won't read all of this thread and therefore it will appear as the company is not interested in the customer.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Skie_M

PSI's order tracking hasn't been acting all that well for me, lately ... sometimes it'll pull up my orders and sometimes I have to do some finagling, and other times I just give up.

Also, the automated systems for emailing order confirmation and shipment confirmation has been on the fritz for the past year at least. It might be on my end, somewhere in my email filters ... or it could be on their end ... as long as I can get my tracking number somehow, things usually work out just fine. :)

magpens

In my opinion, the most significant aspect of the Original Post was not the shipping notification aspect ... that's the part with "two sides" .... perhaps.

The most significant aspect was the product quality issue ... that's the part with *many* sides. (The OP deserves another read.)

That's the part which the "Big Gun" from PSI totally ignored in his post above and has consistently ignored over the years.

That's the part which has been consistently ignored in spite of all the threads in the Cheers and Jeers Forum.

Although Mr. Levy has been an IAP member for 8.5 years he has presented himself here only 31 times during that period. . That, in spite of his being, probably, the biggest provider of pen-making kits and materials and tools in North America. . Biggest, but not best.

The quality issues at PSI are well documented and it's about time that they got addressed ... seriously.

Order processing and shipping is VERY good in my opinion. . Customer service is GENERALLY good .... NOW but NOT ALWAYS.

It's the product quality that needs SERIOUS attention ... across the whole line. . And I don't need to get specific here. . Specifics are well-documented already. I have tried many of the products over the last 6 years ... hoping every time for improvements which I have not seen ... disappointed with nearly every order. . And my disappointments are well-documented within the internal company records. . The products are often novel and visually attractive in the sales blurbs. . But when you open the package they are often disappointing, poorly designed, flawed in manufacturer, made of cheap materials, missing parts, inaccurate instructions, or whatever.

Come on, Mr. Levy ... let's make 2017 the turn-around year for PSI. . I am confident you can do it if you try. . You are the biggest, after all, so you certainly have the clout in the market. . And all the newbies on IAP seem to go first to your product offerings, so please, please, please ... do what it takes to retain their custom and also the custom of us old-timers who have been extremely patient and tolerant of your practices and products.

I have continued to buy from PSI over the years because there are some products that I just want to try, or which are just not available through any other source (lathe headstock adapters, for example). . But I am always prepared for disappointment. . Or prepared to buy more kits than I really want ... just to cull out the parts to get enough good ones to make what I want. . Some, of course, I modify, or I just give up on and discard.

And others I will never buy again ... like the music pen, the gearshift pen, the Majestic, the Montague, the Celtic, the Knight's Armor, and a few others.

HAPPY (??) NEW YEAR !!

Last edited:

oldtoolsniper

In my opinion, the most significant aspect of the Original Post was not the shipping notification aspect ... that's the part with "two sides" .... perhaps.

The most significant aspect was the product quality issue ... that's the part with *many* sides. (The OP deserves another read.)

That's the part which the "Big Gun" from PSI totally ignored in his post above and has consistently ignored.

That's the part which has been consistently ignored in spite of all the threads in the Cheers and Jeers Forum.

Although Mr. Levy has been an IAP member for 8.5 years he has presented himself here only 31 times during that period.

The quality issues at PSI are well documented and it's about time that they got addressed ... seriously.

Shipping is good. . Customer service is GENERALLY good .... NOW but not always.

It's the product quality that needs SERIOUS attention ... across the whole line. . And I don't need to get specific here. . Specifics are well-documented already. I have tried many of the products over the last 6 years ... hoping every time for improvements which I have not seen ... disappointed with nearly every order. . And my disappointments are well-documented within the internal company records. . The products are often novel and visually attractive in the sales blurbs. . But when you open the package they are often disappointing, poorly designed, flawed in manufacturer, made of cheap materials, missing parts, or whatever.

Come on, Mr. Levy ... let's make 2017 the turn-around year for PSI. . I am confident you can do it if you try. . You are the biggest, after all, so you certainly have the clout. . And all the newbies on IAP seem to go first to your product offerings, so please, please, please ... do what it takes to retain their custom and also the custom of us old-timers who have been extremely patient and tolerant of your practices and products.

I have continued to buy from PSI over the years because there are some products that I just want to try, or which are just not available through any other source (lathe headstock adapters, for example). . But I am always prepared for disappointment. . Or prepared to buy more kits than I really want ... just to cull out the parts and get enough good ones to make what I want.

If I'm not happy with a product I simply return it. Does Penn State not accept returns?

I've been around long enough to remember sending a buck and a self addressed envelope to get a catalog from a company. The pictures and descriptions weren't always up to my expectations when I ordered. Even thirty years ago those "Mail Order" companies accepted returns.

Open the box, inventory your order, check it for quality and then if you find the product not satisfactory simply return it. That's how I vote with my wallet. If they refuse to accept the return then there may be grounds to complain.

If you don't like the product but continue to order it you are telling the company you are satisfied with the product.

Most companies don't stay in business by offering products or services that no one buys or needs.

Last edited:

magpens

Yes, oldtoolsniper, returning is an oft-touted possibility, but sometimes an impractical one. . You are missing a few points.

I live in Canada where postage to the US is expensive, with often unpredictable delivery, extending beyond the 30-day return period (taking into account original delivery time plus return time).

It's usually cheaper to order more than you need, in hopes of getting "enough good parts".

You say:

"If you don't like the product but continue to order it you are telling the company you are satisfied with the product."

We're not talking about ONE PRODUCT .... PSI offers hundreds of products .... new ones all the time .... many alluring .... read my post

Last edited:

beck3906

Quality can be had for an increased cost. What are you willing to pay for the increased quality? Regretfully, the quality you seek will place many items above the casual buyer's budget. Then, with lower sales, we begin loosing products.

Higher costs also mean we cannot buy items where we can price them at a reasonable selling price. I offer you the small led flashlights as an example. I cannot make them for resell to make a reasonable profit.

cjester

The customer
I wasn't home anyway, I didn't actually need it for SIX more days. I didn't know it didn't get delivered because I wasn't home. The post office failed to send me a delivery notice. Glad it's there waiting for me.

I knew I was cutting it close for delivery when I ordered, but hoped it would make it before I had to leave. It didn't. I'm not blaming them for that part.

I was frustrated that it appeared to have not shipped at all - even checking the order status on the website. And I was really displeased when in the middle of this, the chain on the seam ripper had to be replaced.

I thank Mr Levy for responding.

oldtoolsniper

Yes, oldtoolsniper, returning is an oft-touted possibility, but sometimes an impractical one. . You are missing a few points.

I live in Canada where postage to the US is expensive, with often unpredictable delivery, extending beyond the 30-day return period (taking into account original delivery time plus return time).

It's usually cheaper to order more than you need, in hopes of getting "enough good parts".

You say:

"If you don't like the product but continue to order it you are telling the company you are satisfied with the product."

We're not talking about ONE PRODUCT .... PSI offers hundreds of products .... new ones all the time .... many alluring .... read my post

I read the post. It says the whole product line needs to improve. That says to me everything they sell.

I don't go into Walmart because the place makes my skin crawl, it's how feel and the standards I set for me. I don't care what they are selling, I refuse to be a patron.

If you don't like a company, the product they sell or the service you receive why keep being a patron?

As someone who runs a small business I stand by that. If I don't provide for you what you expect I should not expect you as a customer. I either change to suit you or I continue to service the clients I have. That is my choice just as it is yours to use my service or choose not to.

If I sourced products from a different country I would expect to deal with the issues accompanying that transaction or I would find another supplier.

This just came in the mail today. Pretty clear what's expected of me in this transaction. I'm betting stickers like this come from threads like this.
456ca8fa0ee493cdad52c19a53ded7d7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

cjester

Open the box, inventory your order, check it for quality and then if you find the product not satisfactory simply return it. That's how I vote with my wallet. If they refuse to accept the return then there may be grounds to complain.

If you don't like the product but continue to order it you are telling the company you are satisfied with the product.

Most companies don't stay in business by offering products or services that no one buys or needs.

I've made one seam ripper necklace, as a gift. I had it turned and assembled before the chain broke. Not returning it at that point. I just bought another chain and gave the gift. I didn't expect a fancy chain for the price, but I expected it not fall apart. I certainly won't buy that particular kit again.

Terredax

Banned
One of the reasons I quit making pens... the kits are a bit pricey. Especially for a hobbyist than doesn't sell the pens to recoup the cost. I agree that making these types of pens are a nice gift, but they are just an instrument to apply ink to paper. One of the many brands of pens available at any number of stores, will do the same thing at a significantly lower cost.

The quality of the kits isn't great. Maybe if PSI would rid the inventory of the novelty kits that are probably not great sellers, they could concentrate their efforts on improving the quality of the kits that do sell well?

When I've shown their catalog to different people, those people never point out the novelty kits. They prefer the nicer more elegant style kits that don't seem gimmicky. They like the kit styles that will stand the test of time.

Happy 2017 !

magpens

Oldtoolsniper, you seem to be in a really foul mood about something.

You do things your way, and I'll do them my way. You can avoid WalMart if you like.

I don't like WalMart either, but if I NEVER go there I know that I am missing out on some things that I would like to have.

Same goes for PSI. For me, PSI is the WalMart of the pen kit world. I only go there because, occasionally, they have a SMALL number of things I want that I can't get elsewhere.

What I said about their pen kits may be a slight overstatement but it's nearly true, and it is high time the company woke up to that fact.

BTW, I don't have a clue what you mean by posting that big green sticker. . Seems totally irrelevant. . I would far rather deal with Berea and their excellent products (never a problem) than with PSI.

I hope this thread is entertaining some people .... :biggrin:

BTW ... please see my "positive note for PSI" in my reply to beck3906

Last edited:

cjester

I've made one seam ripper necklace, as a gift. I had it turned and assembled before the chain broke. Not returning it at that point. I just bought another chain and gave the gift. I didn't expect a fancy chain for the price, but I expected it not fall apart. I certainly won't buy that particular kit again.

I guess I should note that I've made several of their double ended seam rippers with the stiletto in the other end. Those were fine, and well liked by their recipients. The necklace style was comparable and turned out nice, except for the chain.

magpens

Regarding your post, Rick, the quality I am asking for from PSI is indeed available in the current market, at comparable or lower cost from other companies. I know this very well, having purchased a couple of thousand pen kits in the last 7 years, mostly from the person who posted above, just before you. Huge thanks to that enterprise that he represents.

Yes, I know that PSI has some novelty styles ... if you want them ... and sometimes I like to try them out, even though I know that I am paying a premium, considering quality, just to try them.

And, of course, it is indeed true that products that are no good should disappear from the market. . And they will, you can be sure.

On a positive note for PSI, their two products that I really like and buy often are the 30 Caliber Bolt Action pen kit and the Vertex Click pen kit (which some people here say has a flaky click mechanism, but I haven't had a problem with it yet).

I think I will switch off now, feeling that I have adequately made my points. . HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY !!!! . Including Mr. Levy and staff.

Quality can be had for an increased cost. What are you willing to pay for the increased quality? Regretfully, the quality you seek will place many items above the casual buyer's budget. Then, with lower sales, we begin loosing products.

Higher costs also mean we cannot buy items where we can price them at a reasonable selling price. I offer you the small led flashlights as an example. I cannot make them for resell to make a reasonable profit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom