Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AJMwoodcrafts

Contents:
Instructions
Storage Box
TBC Mandrels

2dc6c3fb0ee771e2eb7b41dcb35821a0.jpg

Initial Impressions:
I received the mandrel system today and took it for a test turn. I really enjoyed the increased accuracy of the system. I was able ti get very close to the bushings since the mandrel spins so true.

Pros:
Accuracy Accuracy Accuracy
The mandrel is compatible with all of my standard bushings (that work with a 7mm mandrel). This includes compound (center) bushings (see pic).
It's simple to use and changing out bushings is very simple.

Con:
Harder to manage 2 tube pen kits (compared to standard mandrel). I'm use to setting up the tubes on the lathe in their final orientation. I'll use my old standard mandrel for finishing.

Conclusion:
I'll never go back to a standard mandrel with the exception of finishing.

With cigar center bushing on left
240e542cc9ecd155a5ba82f571328a37.jpg

With finished tube
b34a7d2d133b2f104d978e0b21e1dbd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I don't get it. It looks like you are still using bushings. Are these just a Morris taper with a 1/4" stub on which you still have to use 7mm bushings?

KB8JXO

Thanks for the report

I got a set for Christmas and waiting for the temperature to get above freezing to try it out. (Nothing runs when the garage is below zero.)

Not sure what the advantage is. There is still the problem of bushing to adapter size. If the bushing didn't run true (off center) on the mandrel shaft, it shouldn't run true on the adapter, either.

Talltim

Not sure what the advantage is. There is still the problem of bushing to adapter size. If the bushing didn't run true (off center) on the mandrel shaft, it shouldn't run true on the adapter, either.

Sometimes you can get bushings that are not true but generally it is the fault of a warped mandrel.

The advantages of the psi system depend on what you are comparing it with. If you are comparing it with TBC using 60 degree centers it is cheaper than buying the special TBC bushings. And standard bushing tend to wear the 60 degree centers a little faster.

If you are comparing it to a traditional mandrel set up you do not have to worry about the rod warping.

The disadvantage might be that I am not convinced the quality of the psi system's bearings are that high so it's its longevity still remains to be seen.

We have had the psi system long so time might make me totally reverse my opinions later.

Last edited:

woodwurker

Am I the only one?

I've had my PSI TBC system for about six months now and have pretty much relegated it to the pile of tools that I wish worked but don't.

The reason I went to TBC was to eliminate the problem of the final diameters being off center (I'm sure there is a term which describes this phenomenon), but after receiving the set from PSI, the piece with the bearing had so much run-out that I called them to ask what was going on. They said it was probably just a bad one so they sent another one right away. The folks at PSI have always been very helpful, I only wish that their products were of the same quality.

After receiving the replacement, and putting it to the test, all I can say is I saw no improvement at all. I can hold the piece in my hand and feel the deflection just by moving it around.

Now, I'm certainly no expert, but I've been making pens for twenty years and can recognize problems with pens (the fingernail click test being my favorite method). Maybe someone here has the fix for this issue. The ability to use standard bushings is very inviting, if I could get it to work.

I have this mandrel set. I used it for about 10 single, and short tube pens, and it worked great. Now, though, the stub of mandrel on the headstock side, is bent, ever so slightly. The closer to the tailstock, the truer it runs. I have a messed up cocobolo blank, right now, that is waaaay out of round. This almost worked. I'm either getting a Whiteside Pro mandrel, or switching to TBC bushings for the pens I turn. I hate that it was a failure, but I hate worse, that it was a waste of money.

Top Bottom