Penn State Industries Pipe kits ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

calabrese55

Recently worked on 7 pipe kits from PSI, Penn State Industries. This was my first product buy from this supplier.
Generally the quality was good EXCEPT the couplers all were very loose in the tubes . Not sure if it was the tube or the coupler but the fit was not by any means a press fit in 90% of the assemblies and what interference there was is finger pressure only.
The items were purchased about a few months ago but I have just started working with them.
I just purchased over $200.00 of various pen kits from PSI. I have not checked them for the fit coupler to tube fit, I am almost too disappointed to try ☹️
Anyone have a similar situation with this product or similar products from PSI ? Now I am wondering what I will find in the pen kits !

Thanks in advance
calabrese55

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I haven't had any problems with any of their pen kits & I've used quite a few different ones.

I know nothing about any of their smoker kits.

sorcerertd

I haven't had any problems with their kits and I've turned a lot of them. I ordered a starter kit of those "smoking pipes" since I had a special request for one. I did not notice a loose fit in any of them. That certainly doesn't mean there won't be a few here and there.

The problem I've had with their kits is the epoxy coating on their antique finishes. I frequently find, I'm not sure what to call them, pieces of partially dried stuff embedded in the finish. Kind of like when you open a can of something and there is some partially hardened stuff on the cap/lid. Somebody needs to clean their equipment and strain the finish better. They are durable, but the inclusions drive me crazy.

calabrese55

I haven't had any problems with their kits and I've turned a lot of them. I ordered a starter kit of those "smoking pipes" since I had a special request for one. I did not notice a loose fit in any of them. That certainly doesn't mean there won't be a few here and there.

The problem I've had with their kits is the epoxy coating on their antique finishes. I frequently find, I'm not sure what to call them, pieces of partially dried stuff embedded in the finish. Kind of like when you open a can of something and there is some partially hardened stuff on the cap/lid. Somebody needs to clean their equipment and strain the finish better. They are durable, but the inclusions drive me crazy.
Thanks Sorceretd
I hope this is just a batch issue and not a trend. Like I said i have a box full of new pen kits just in will dig into them tomorrow.
The one thing I did notice on the couplings is on the non threaded end there is a groove or most likely a ridge or upaet that facilitates the interference fit. It looked pretty anemic on all the couplings.
Lastly I tried to slightly squeeze the coupling end ever so slightly to take it out of round hoping to create some interference fit.
The coupling shattered into many pieces with very little squeeze. This unfortunately is a characteristic on NON-leaded brass. The lead content in brass makes the brass malleable, easy to foundry or machine but it also a carcinogen so brass is now all lead free or should be .
i worked in an engineering group for a large pump company some years ago and was involved with the transition from leaded red brass to lead free in all of the company specifications. A good indication at least is how this thing just shattered with just a little squeeze from a small pair of pliers guessing there was an absence of lead ?
Thanks for your reply.
calabrese55

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Tube IDs & ODs can vary from batch to batch and supplier to supplier. Kit parts can also vary slightly in sizes. Pen & project kits are not high precision components, so occasionally, loose fits do occur.

My solution is to wipe a small amount of CA on the inside of the tube, then let it fully cure (like overnight). Usually that compensates adequately for the loose fit.

calabrese55

Tube IDs & ODs can vary from batch to batch and supplier to supplier. Kit parts can also vary slightly in sizes. Pen & project kits are not high precision components, so occasionally, loose fits do occur.

My solution is to wipe a small amount of CA on the inside of the tube, then let it fully cure (like overnight). Usually that compensates adequately for the loose fit.
Hi Edgar
That is a very good idea! I will use that on a pen kit if i find the same condition.
On the pipe kits I want to avoid that process as there will be some heat involved in the use of the pipe and CA in the coupling joint may not be a good idea.
I am going to try some lead free solder used for electrical circuit board work. It is available in 1/32 in diameter. It melts very quickly with a pencil soldering iron or small torch I have and should be pretty easy to get a deposit.
A very small amount on the coupling insert end then filed or sanded down should "snug up" the fit nicely.🤪
Thanks again for time and contribution here.
calabrese55

calabrese55

PSI's customer service is easy to work with. You should give them a call and talk to them directly. I'm sure they can help you.
Hi wolf creek
Thanks for the note. I did not call them I hate like heck to deal even with the most friendly customer service opportunities on something I think I can fix even though I should not have to fix a new purchase.
I am an old guy but new customer to Penn State, not counting what I have spent on the pipes I recently purchased over $200.00 on pen kits that I have not opened yet. I will do a work around on the pipes but if the pen kits show issues I will be picking up the phone to customer service.
I never yell or beat on any customer service folks no matter the issue. Instead I give every supplier polite details and one opportunity to keep me as a customer or open a one way out door to another supplier. It all comes down simply in the way they address any issue.
Depending on how the pen kits go and any customer service issues that MAY or may not arise from the pen order I will either be an ongoing customer or a new customer to another supplier.
thanks again for looking in.
calabrese55

calabrese55

Hey sorcerertd & wolfcreek
Thanks for the info I am sure PSI's customer service is good if given the chance and I did not give them the opportunity to act on the issue.
I managed to salvage all but one pipe kit with the added metal to the couplers , (solder) it worked quite well.
Please understand I am not taking any shots at PSI customer service but I was disappointed that 7 out of 7 pipe kits all had the same issue with the couplers. I take it as a manufacturing issue, it happens, it was just easier to move on.
I am just an old cuss set in my ways with an independent streak that runs pretty deep.
Really appreciate you guys chipping in that is what make this forum worthwhile, we are all goo to go :).
calabrese55

David350

I've always had very positive experiences with PSI when I had a kit issue, but I can appreciate your sentiment on just fixing it yourself. However, I would kindly suggest we all owe it to each other to report issues to the kit supplier, otherwise they might not know they have a QC issue from one of their vendors and then many hobbyists have issues. Just something to consider...

calabrese55

I've always had very positive experiences with PSI when I had a kit issue, but I can appreciate your sentiment on just fixing it yourself. However, I would kindly suggest we all owe it to each other to report issues to the kit supplier, otherwise they might not know they have a QC issue from one of their vendors and then many hobbyists have issues. Just something to consider...
I agree and to that end I offer the following.
About a week ago I called Penn State Customer Service for assistance with a pen kit that had a defective brass tube.
You can see the situation I believe in the picture below. Normally I would have just squared off the tube and moved on except it would be too short according to kit specs after squared up.
I spoke to a lady at Penn State who seemed to have a bit of an attitude in as much as she made me feel like I was bothering her with my call.

She took my customer number and order number said she would be right back. When she returned to the call her attitude had completely changed , a marked improvement. I suspect the reason for her attitude improvement was she saw an order value over $250.00.
The kit in question is https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKCP7500.html
She said they would get a replacement tube out straight away, that works for me :)
The call was placed on April 25th and realistically I am not in a bind to get the replacement tube, I have a bunch of other Penn State kits to work on just from that order.
As of today's mail May 3, 2023 the replacement has yet to arrive.
I will let this ride through the coming weekend before I follow up with Penn State. Based on my karma it may show up tomorrow or the day after......... just as long as it gets here before forever.
I will post the conclusion when it arrives all shakes out.
calabrese55

IMG_2023-04-25-11-29-40-484.jpg

Last edited:

calabrese55

I agree and to that end I offer the following.
About a week ago I called Penn State Customer Service for assistance with a pen kit that had a defective brass tube.
You can see the situation I believe in the picture below. Normally I would have just squared off the tube and moved on except it would be too short according to kit specs after squared up.
I spoke to a lady at Penn State who seemed to have a bit of an attitude in as much as she made me feel like I was bothering her with my call.

She took my customer number and order number said she would be right back. When she returned to the call her attitude had completely changed , a marked improvement. I suspect the reason for her attitude improvement was she saw an order value over $250.00.
The kit in question is https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKCP7500.html
She said they would get a replacement tube out straight away, that works for me :)
The call was placed on April 25th and realistically I am not in a bind to get the replacement tube, I have a bunch of other Penn State kits to work on just from that order.
As of today's mail May 3, 2023 the replacement has yet to arrive.
I will let this ride through the coming weekend before I follow up with Penn State. Based on my karma it may show up tomorrow or the day after......... just as long as it gets here before forever.
I will post the conclusion when it arrives all shakes out.
calabrese55

View attachment 353222
An Interesting coincidence ?????????? I posted the above Penn State pen kit issue yesterday.
This AM in my email I have a notice from Penn State that in part that reads " your recent order has been processed through our shipping department."
Realistically this could just simply be a coincidence and I am not taking any shots at Penn State I am a new customer there and have dropped a lot of $$ there so I hope it is a great beginning to a long relationship. I most likely will continue to buy there time and performance will tell.
calabrese55

calabrese55

An Interesting coincidence ?????????? I posted the above Penn State pen kit issue yesterday.
This AM in my email I have a notice from Penn State that in part that reads " your recent order has been processed through our shipping department."
Realistically this could just simply be a coincidence and I am not taking any shots at Penn State I am a new customer there and have dropped a lot of $$ there so I hope it is a great beginning to a long relationship. I most likely will continue to buy there time and performance will tell.
calabrese55
UPDATE...THE TUBE ARRIVED TODAY....all is good in my world again 🙃 :) 🤪
calabrese55

Top Bottom