Jeer Penn State creepy stalker emails

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

retrojim

Jeer for lately cyberstalking me with spam. If I go to their website but don't buy anything that time, within a day I get an email trying to get me to buy the stuff I looked at. Very creepy, and has me considering never going to their website again.

If you go to "email preferences" in your account on their site, there's nowhere to turn off these emails.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I'm with you, Jim ! . But there are other websites that are up to the same trick ... however no other pen kit websites that I know of.

Another thing that gets me is if you do a google search for "xyz pen kit", you will always get PSI at the top of the page of results, no matter what you have typed for "xyz" ... any name at all ... even if you literally use "xyz".

Last edited:

JimB

I wonder who is stalking who. This is your first post and it's to Jeer PSI for something that many, many retailers do. There are also pop up ads that come from many retailers even when you are not on their site and don't even have an account. You are doing something else entirely and suddenly there's a pop up ad for something you were previously researching.

The only way to avoid it is to not shop online. Take a drive to the store instead.

TonyL

I have eliminated many; I am less concerned about the any "creepy-ness". I do have almost all of my shopping email to an email account under one of my passed dogs names.

jttheclockman

Is it really that hard to hit delete:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I had 48 emails that are just things I either bought or followed through with just before I came on here. Guess what hit the check mark on all and one press of the delete button and they were all gone. :):):)

Shock me

It's simply a fact of modern life and you're only seeing the tip of the iceberg. I'm more concerned about the data being collected that I dont know about than the data the show me they're collecting...

Nice thing about PSI is that when you go to their site, put something in the cart then leave the site, guaranteed the next day you'll get a discount offer. Did it last night and this morning I had a 15% discount offer in my email. Some might have gotten it too as it seemed like a mass email but it happens to me every time. Also works if you give them a review, you get $5 off your next purchase within a certain time frame.

jttheclockman

Nice thing about PSI is that when you go to their site, put something in the cart then leave the site, guaranteed the next day you'll get a discount offer. Did it last night and this morning I had a 15% discount offer in my email. Some might have gotten it too as it seemed like a mass email but it happens to me every time. Also works if you give them a review, you get $5 off your next purchase within a certain time frame.

Hey I only got 10%. Not fair. JEER!!!!!:):):)

magpens

Your experience is much different from mine.

I have RARELY received the discount offer you mention, but NEVER a reward for writing a review.

sbwertz

Careful...read carefully. At least on mine the 15 percent off is only on certain pen kits, not the whole site.

CREID

It's AGE discrimination. Your lucky you got 10 cause the older you are the less you get. :biggrin::eek::cool:

TonyL

I let their 20% off one pass me by. My wife wanted the dog pen, so this was an excuse to buy some other run of the mill kits and blanks...still haven't purchased...waiting to see if they sweeten the deal. they had a good deal on an ebonite bundle of blanks.

CSUSA, as you reported had the free shipping. I bought 10 Aeros. It is a high profit pen for me. Lady customers love them and very often i can use a cut off from another blank.

jttheclockman

It's AGE discrimination. Your lucky you got 10 cause the older you are the less you get. :biggrin::eek::cool:

Can I sue then??? Will you be my lawyer Curt???:biggrin::biggrin:

CREID

Can I sue then??? Will you be my lawyer Curt???:biggrin::biggrin:
You know that nobody and I mean NOBODY takes me serious enough for me to be a lawyer.:confused::biggrin:

retrojim

What does it being my first post have to do with anything? I'm new to pen turning and this site. Are we keeping some score I'm unaware of?

Also, this is the ONLY shopping site I have ever been to that emails me after I visit. Yes, I get ads on websites for things I've looked at on e-commerce sites, but this is the first time any seller has emailed me after just looking. I've been in high tech my whole career and trust me, I understand how cookies and gathering metrics works.

I regret making the original post. I didn't think everyone would get so bent out of shape. Guess I'll go back to just reading and learning on this site if this is the reaction a post people disagree with gets. Not a very welcoming community...

I wonder who is stalking who. This is your first post and it's to Jeer PSI for something that many, many retailers do. There are also pop up ads that come from many retailers even when you are not on their site and don't even have an account. You are doing something else entirely and suddenly there's a pop up ad for something you were previously researching.

The only way to avoid it is to not shop online. Take a drive to the store instead.

magpens

Retrojim,

Please do not be put off by this experience. . That was an exception, not the usual, and definitely not the rule. . You are very welcome here. . Your contributions are, and will be, appreciated ... I can assure you.

I believe it is valuable, for most members, for you to continue to "voice" all your experiences and your opinions and also to publicize your progress in pen turning through descriptions of your work, questions you might have about anything, and pictures of your pens and other work.

Only in that way can we all grow and improve. . From what little I have read from you I feel quite convinced that you have a meaningful role to play here.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Not for nothing yes we welcome all new people joining the family. We are all here to share ideas and make our pen turning experience better and more enjoyable. But with that said, you did not even introduce yourself or give us any insight as to who you are or what you do or like to do. The first post is to complain about emails and you being in the high tech field and knowing how things are changing day to day. Not a good opening line.

PSI gets its share of Jeers here and some are well founded but some just are ridiculous. There is nothing inflammatory written here for you to get upset about. Lets say it is water under the bridge and start over. tell us about yourself and what it is you would like to accomplish by joining this site. Maybe even show us some of your work and it does not have to be pens if chose not to.

Advertising is a way of life. It happens in many forms and in fact we as pen makers and seller look for our own ideas to get the word out. If you head down this path and maybe you already are you will understand that statement. Good luck and welcome.

TonyL

Hi RetroJim:

Welcome!

I don't care what questions are posted, how often one posts, or how one presents their questions. Welcome to the IAP, and I hope you choose to continue to ask questions.

WriteON

Jeer for lately cyberstalking me with spam.

Hi and welcome aboard. Do not regret your original post. Do not feel uncomfortable here. You'll quickly find out most members are here to help and have fun. Sorry you got off to bad start with PennState. Some swear by them and some swear at them. Oh well...let it go. They're not so bad. You'll find them to be a reputable company if you buy from them. What have you done so far. How did you get started. Please stay active here. We're on your side.

Last edited:

WriteON

Jeer for lately cyberstalking me with spam. If I go to their website but don't buy anything that time, within a day I get an email trying to get me to buy the stuff I looked at. Very creepy, and has me considering never going to their website again.

If you go to "email preferences" in your account on their site, there's nowhere to turn off these emails.

I think you get 10% first order by registering.

Your experience is much different from mine.

I have RARELY received the discount offer you mention, but NEVER a reward for writing a review.

So they sent me an email asking me to review a recent purchase. I did the review and this is what I received the next day. I don't buy a lot from PSI but I get a review request just about every time I do buy something from them.

Your product review is Posted

Dear Tom,

We greatly appreciate your time in letting us know about your product experience. We strive to serve our customers better and value your constructive feedback!

Thank you Coupon
$5 Off
Your next purchase at Pennstateind.com*

Use Promo Code: 15REVDEC
Expires: 3/8/19

jttheclockman

I just noticed there is a way to unsubscribe from getting their emails so the OP is wrong in his assessment. Just need to follow your nose more throughout the message. :):):)

Chasper

Not quite right. The standard practice and in keeping with anti-spam rules, is that unsubscribe gets you off lists that you have opted in, either by checking a box to subscribe or not checking a box that was already checked for you. When an online merchant sends an individual automated email in response to an action that a shopper has taken, that is not a bulk marketing email and is not covered by anti-spam conventions. Examples of automated email (also know as triggered emails) are cart abandonment, browse abandonment, anniversary of purchase, your birthday, your first visit, and dozens, maybe hundreds more.

The action that the original poster apparently did was to visit the PSI site and then left without making a purchase. That is an occasion for a browse abandonment email. From a merchant perspective it tends to work very well, 5% response rates to browse abandonment emails is common. Cart abandonment emails perform at least twice as well.

I just noticed there is a way to unsubscribe from getting their emails so the OP is wrong in his assessment. Just need to follow your nose more throughout the message. :):):)

JimB

Not quite right. The standard practice and in keeping with anti-spam rules, is that unsubscribe gets you off lists that you have opted in, either by checking a box to subscribe or not checking a box that was already checked for you. When an online merchant sends an individual automated email in response to an action that a shopper has taken, that is not a bulk marketing email and is not covered by anti-spam conventions. Examples of automated email (also know as triggered emails) are cart abandonment, browse abandonment, anniversary of purchase, your birthday, your first visit, and dozens, maybe hundreds more.

The action that the original poster apparently did was to visit the PSI site and then left without making a purchase. That is an occasion for a browse abandonment email. From a merchant perspective it tends to work very well, 5% response rates to browse abandonment emails is common. Cart abandonment emails perform at least twice as well.

That's interesting. I thought there must be something that excludes these type of things from the spam rules but I didn't know what.

Your response rate statistics are also very interesting. Those rates are much better then typical marketing efforts and I assume much less expensive to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom