Penmaker's Challenge - Week 4 Winners Ann.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Wow, this month is going by so fast. It's already week 4 of our challenge. I will be excited to see what you all come up with this week. Let's get going!

Our challenge this week, make a pen with matching pen stand. In other words, use any kit you desire, any material or combination of materials you desire but you must also make a matching pen stand from the same materials. Your stand can have an insert to hold your pen, or as basic as a hole. Your pen can also just lay on your stand if you wish.

1. All pens MUST be made specifically for each contest. What you do with the pen after is your business.[8D]

2. All pens entered must be made to the specification of each contest.

3. All pens must be entered in the alloted time.

Please send your entry along with your name and IAP name to;

2008BashChallenge@penturners.org
This contest is closed.
This contest will end Tues. Jan. 29st at noon PDT.

Contestants will be judged anonymously and there will be a 1st and 2nd prize for each contest. Winners and pictures will be posted at the end of each contest along with the rest of the entrants. Thanks everyone, now go have some fun and get those pens going!!!!!

Wow, wow, wow, we had some great entries. These guys went above and beyond. Here are our winners and all the other entries. All should be congratulated on their pens and stands. Winners, email me with your physical addresses and remember to drop a line to our prize givers. Congratulations!!!!!!

1st Place - Chuck Key

50 Inlace Acrylester Blanks from Ryon Polokoff

Segmental Attraction: The main stand ring is turned on three axis and the pen center band and end cap were custom made. The set was made from unidentifed found wood.
200813122718_chuckkey.jpg

2nd Place - Skiprat

$25 Gift Certificate from Craft Supplies USA

Stand and pen made from aluminium and my first homebrew PR.
200813123022_Skiprat.jpg

Honorable Mention - Draken

A box of blanks from ?

When I get home from a long day of work, I like to kick back and relax (or head to the shop for some pen turning). I was curious what my pen likes to do after a hard day of writing. "Pen, what would you like to do after a hard day writing?" I asked. Pen said "I'd like to kick back and relax too! I'm tired of laying flat on my back staring at the ceiling. And I don't like being put into a cup, standing on my feet all day. Plus, I think pencil keeps groping me." And so I set out to ease my Pen's suffering. I have created a comfortable recliner for Pen to rest on, with a cozy red flocked surface to highlight its outfit. The stylish recliner is made of natural edge Bocote, and the cutout removed for the pen is what I used to make the pen. You'll note the grain lines continue up from the recliner into the pen itself. And it takes up about the same amount of desk space as the pen would if it were just laid on the desk, staring up at the ceiling.

The pen is a Rhodium and Black Titanium Jr. Statesman VII in Bocote with a lacquer finish. The recliner is from the same slab of Bocote (note the continuing grain lines), has a red flocked cushion for the pen to rest on, and also sports a lacquer finish. The recliner has a natural edge with the bark still attached, the sap wood providing an interesting contrast against the grain of the Bocote and the red flocking. There is a groove where the pen lays, keeping the pen securely in place.
200813123524_draken.jpg

These guys also did a great job, let's give them a hand!!!

1JaredSchmidt
200813123725_jared.jpg

pssherman
The base is made using a shell from a M118 grenade launcher. The pen is made using a bullet and a casing from a 7.62 mm NATO round (308 equivalent) that was ‘pulled’ from a military arsenal. The grenade shell has the original anodized coating and markings. The casing and bullet are PC’d. The selection of the wood, naturally, is bloodwood. The clip and cap are plated with ‘gunmetal’ (according to woodturningz).
200813123823_pssherman.jpg

mrcook4570
The base is bubinga with maple inlay. The pen is a full size titanium gold gent in bubinga with maple inlay on the cap, custom maple finial, and custom maple endcap. I have embedded a rare earth magnet into the endcap from the inside, so it is not visible from the outside. I have also embedded a rare earth magnet into the base to hold the pen securely.

There are 4 maple inlays on the cap, equally spaced around the circumference and centered on the barrel. The shape of these inlays is the same as a shape found in the inlaid pattern in the base.
20081312432_mrcook4570.jpg

splinter99
Pen and matching desk set made from antique Pennsylvania Cherry and black walnut.
The desk set includes a small matching lidded box to hold paper clips etc.
All segments were acented with black dyed maple
Pen is a platinum cigar with CA Finish
20081312446_splinter99.jpg

maxwell_smart007
It's white speckled corian on a black titanium cigar, with a white speckled corian pen holder.
200813124536_Andrew.jpg

Sparhawk
Spalted red oak modified slimline(week2)with a segmented centerband of antler and red oak(week1)on a spalted red oak stand with a few small inclusions on the front filled with red pearl ex and a antler pen holder.
200813124645_sparhawk.jpg

ken69912001
Made from Amboyna Burl with Rhodium Jr. Gent
200813124745_ken69912001.jpg

UKpenmaker
200813125128_UKpenmaker.jpg

Rick_G
My neighbour had a honey locust tree taken down a couple
years ago and the wood was delivered to me to use as firewood. I didn't
have a lathe then and didn't know any better. :) The pieces
were to small to do anything else with and then I got the lathe last
October. The wood in the pen was cut on an angle to bring out the
grain and the stand is a piece of the same log. No more of this wood is
going to be burned.
200813125455_Rick.jpg

Stevej72 It is made of bamboo from a cutting board, the base and most of the pen is dark bamboo and the funnel, center band and finial are the light bamboo.
20081312560_Stevej72.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Hurry, hurry, I hope you guys are getting your pens and matching stands done. It's the last day and we have some great entries.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yeah, but Wood sets are pretty common.

'Spose anyone will come up with something REALLY UNIQUE???
(Ever seen a resin matching set???)

Just musing!!!:D:D:D:D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So, where's the pictures???? Game ended 90 minutes ago - for once I am interested in the entries -- So, where's the pics???? (He says in his best short old lady banging on counter voice!!)

wudnhed

I'm sorry, had an emergency. This contest is closed and winners will be announced tomorrow. Thanks for your patience everyone.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow.. Congrats to all!!! And to some of the non-winners too!

Good thing I didn't have to run this contest.. I'd be in gridlock for months. Some of those sets are BEAUTIFUL! And they are all unique.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Chuck Key

Wow is right. I feel very lucky to have been selected to recieve one of the prizes out of that group of entries.

Chuckie

Me too:D:D

Thanks Becca, this was a load of fun.:D

These entries are flat out amazing. And to think y'all came up with them in a week's time. Jared, I'm quite impressed with your effort, both from the standpoint of your relative youthfulness and experience as a penturner. Chuck and Skip? I guess it's no surprise you stand atop the heap, but your entries were unexpected. Great work. And the rest, WOW!!! I appreciate the effort all around. It shows.

GBusardo

Originally posted by byounghusband

What a great set of entries!! Some real "Outside the Box" thinking!! Congratulations to the WINNERS and to the other entrants too. All of those pens/stands look great.

DITTO! This is exactly what I was thinking while I was looking at the entries.

Draken

Wow, lots of creative folks out there, and more entries into this contest than I expected. I feel, well, honored, to get the Honorable Mention. Thank you Becca for hosting this, sorry for your difficult times of late, and thank you to the anonymous judges.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Draken

Wow, lots of creative folks out there, and more entries into this contest than I expected. I feel, well, honored, to get the Honorable Mention. Thank you Becca for hosting this, sorry for your difficult times of late, and thank you to the anonymous judges.

I was actually very surprised by the lack of entries. I only put one in because my friend Andy put one in and I thought Ed was too.
Andy actually came to my house to help me mix the PR for my entry.
I'm glad I didn't have to pick a winner, they are all fantastic.
Chuck Key is a very worthy winner and it is about time he won.

Next year I would like to host one of the comps and give suitable prizes too.

Many thanks to all involved in the BB, you all have done a sterling job:D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I DO find it amusing that Chuck Key (an American) won the contest in which a couple of Great Brits competed, by entering HIS interpretation of the Euro sign!!!

GREAT JOB Chuckie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, pound sterling is forever, the euro's for those OTHER European guys!!!

Top Bottom