Pendant Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bezdomni

Bezdomni

Does anyone else ever have a problem separating a completed pendant from the tape? How do you do it without damaging the pendant?

What size blanks do you use? Is 2" square enough for you to start with or does that make your finished product a little too small?

Where can you get (and exactly what do you ask for) the multi-colored plywood blanks in Yo-Yo Spin's videos?

Thank you.

Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Does anyone else ever have a problem separating a completed pendant from the tape? How do you do it without damaging the pendant?
Yes, first let me ask what kind of tape you are using, then ask how much. If you are using turners tape, I recommend you using 2 pieces to get it round and then one piece from then out. But you have to use a light touch when you have 1 piece. If you are using some other tape, it is probably too sticky. Use less, use your tailstock to get it round then take the tailstock back.

What size blanks do you use? Is 2" square enough for you to start with or does that make your finished product a little too small?
If you are good at centering the blank on your mandrel 2" is fine. I like a variety so I use some larger, some smaller. I typically don't start smaller than 2"

AlanZ

It may sound odd, but using dental floss can be handy to slide between the tape and the wood.

Think of it as a cheese wire for pendants <s>

Ruth Niles

When I had that same problem with the sticky tape, a friend suggested using a little denatured alcohol and it did work. I used a small paint brush and held a paper towel under it.

As to the colored laminated wood, check Penn State Ind. and Craft Supplies. They both have the blanks for pens so they might have larger pieces. They're just called laminated blanks.

I think you should use whatever size blank you think looks nice. I've seen some nice pendant and earring sets and the earrings are only about 1" or less in diameter.

Have fun
Ruth

monophoto

Yes, all the time. It's just part of the process. I use an old chisel to start the separation.

And it's not just a matter of separating the finished pendant - then you have to remove the adhesive that the tape left behind.

What's 'too small'? That's an aesthetic judgment, and everyone has a different answer.

I just made a pendant yesterday that was started with a blank that was about 1 3/8" square. Sometimes, small can be elegant.

By the way, another use for the 'pendant' idea is a pull for a zippered sweater/vest. Smaller is definitely better for that application.

Where can you get (and exactly what do you ask for) the multi-colored plywood blanks in Yo-Yo Spin's videos?

It's called 'color-ply'. I don't especially care for it so I've never actually looked to see who sells it. I've seen it for sale at the Totally Turning show. And you could make your own.

Bezdomni

Wow. I really appreciate all the helpful replies. My pendants are starting to look OK and I'm learning a lot. What could be better than that? I'm going to try the DNA to get the tape residue off. That has been annoying.

I found some nice dyed ply at a good price at Cousineau Wood Products. They call it SpectraPly. I ordered a couple pieces and they were easy to deal with. All the usual disclaimers, of course. They have various size panels and sticks up to 2-1/2" square. I ordered two 11.5" 2-1/2x2-1/2" sticks for $13.50 each plus shipping. Craft Supplies may have every bit as good a deal, especially if you can get a break on the shipping.

So far I've made pendants out of black limba (nice figure but porous) and red heart, which really turned out nice. I'm looking forward to the SpectraPly. All in all, this has been an enjoyable experience and something new to make on my lathe.

Thanks everyone.

Chuck

Top Bottom