Penalties?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

In regards to the annual Bash,should there be penalties for spoiling the mood on contests and voting polls?I feel that I did such a thing on 3 voting polls.Maybe I'm overreacting, but I can't get it off my mind.I've considered coming right out and disqualifing myself but the polls are open and I fear it would just make things worse.Other things I've thought about are barring from future events,supension of membership,forfiture of prizes,slap on the wrist"now behave and don't do it again".

What are the thoughts from the membership on contest spoilers?

Sincerely,Dale aka Captain Buzzkill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm not aware of what you're talking about. But, you asked for thoughts from members. Here's mine. The moderators will eventually have something to say if rules are violated. If you are deliberately attempting to ruin the Birthday Bash. Please stop now. I've seen other discussions that push the limits and, I think only that person and, one of his friends are the only ones enjoying it. Having said my thoughts at your request, I think I'll go see if I can find what you're talking about. 'cause I'm not doing anything else right now. :biggrin:

Dan Masshardt

I don't recall you saying anything that I'd consider in this category.

If someone is deliberately trying to sway a contest etc, that would be concerning.

But raising questions and those sorts of things should be okay I think.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Gosh, Dale - I have no idea what you're referring to and I've read just about every post this month.

alphageek

Former Moderator
As both a moderator and a member, I say you're being to hard on yourself. Enjoy whats left of the Bash.... Start planning on new stuff for next years contests and look for fun stuff in between!

Trust me, we as mods (and Jeff AND bash planners) do a lot to make sure that we can try to keep this the great place it is.

We get a member here and there that we have to deal with, but its a pretty small population.

Now, if you're still feeling like a buzzkill, then here is your punishment. Go find 5 pens in the SOYP forum, find something you like about them and say something nice! :)

Dean

Tom T

I must have missed it. Sorry about that.
And I have been hanging out here a lot this month trying to win stuff. So you must be good to go. I am glad that little guy on the good side of your shoulder is in charge.
My wife says I can not buy any more mugs or I might be in trouble. But she does not know about the clock.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There's an old joke that fits here: (I don't think the religious overtone will offend anyone)

Christ is standing in front of the adultress, who is about to be stoned by the masses and He says: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!!" A small stone comes hurling through the crowd, narrowly missing the woman. Jesus immediately says, "I was NOT talking to you, mother!!!"

Nobody (except your mother) is perfect!!!

Enjoy the bash, and weigh your words before typing----it's a great practice and not difficult!!

FWIW,
Ed

toddlajoie

Same here, I don't recall anything that even comes close to requiring even a dreaded CAPSLOCK BRIGHT RED PM, let alone any of these things you want to impose on yourself.

From my experience, if you do something that requires anything of that sort, you, and the vast majority of those around you, will see it coming long before it happens.

Ambidex

There's an old joke that fits here: (I don't think the religious overtone will offend anyone)

Christ is standing in front of the adultress, who is about to be stoned by the masses and He says: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!!" A small stone comes hurling through the crowd, narrowly missing the woman. Jesus immediately says, "I was NOT talking to you, mother!!!"

Enjoy the bash, and weigh your words before typing----it's a great practice and not difficult!!

FWIW,
Ed

perfect...and also in retrospect...almost everyone here has a tendency to ignore any negative feedback or derogatory comments because some people just were ignored as children and need the attention factor. As my father used to say, if you really need to be right, keep it to yourself and you'll never be wrong. And no, he never said that but it sounds like something he would say...so take that statement as something I made up...am I becoming my father??..I CAN live with that.:wink:

plantman

I'm a firm believer in the cat of nine tails and the rack from the middle ages, but if someone hasn't pointed it out already, I don't see where you have a problem. Hopefully 99% of the people out there take what we say in the manner we want it to be taken. However, the typed word is not always taken precisely with the same interpretation by everyone. There lies the problem in Social Media. Jim S

Last edited:

edstreet

In regards to the annual Bash,should there be penalties for spoiling the mood on contests and voting polls?I feel that I did such a thing on 3 voting polls.Maybe I'm overreacting, but I can't get it off my mind.I've considered coming right out and disqualifing myself but the polls are open and I fear it would just make things worse.Other things I've thought about are barring from future events,supension of membership,forfiture of prizes,slap on the wrist"now behave and don't do it again".

While I am quite certain you may have posted this on my behalf ;) I have to say that psychology teaches us to be assertive but not react. When you react to what others have done then, especially mentally, that gives them control over you and that is a very bad thing. Be assertive is the proper response here.

eranox

I pretty much feel that any accidental offenses should be overlooked without major discussion. This site is a place for cooperation, learning, and inspiration, and I'd hate to see that tone undermined by creating an atmosphere where we punish members for innocent mistakes.

Deliberate misuse or abuse is presumably handled by moderators. I've never seen such behavior on IAP, possibly because the mods are so quick to remove it when and if it occurs. To me, it seems like the system isn't broken, so there's no sense in trying to fix it!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I pretty much feel that any accidental offenses should be overlooked without major discussion. This site is a place for cooperation, learning, and inspiration, and I'd hate to see that tone undermined by creating an atmosphere where we punish members for innocent mistakes.

Deliberate misuse or abuse is presumably handled by moderators. I've never seen such behavior on IAP, possibly because the mods are so quick to remove it when and if it occurs. To me, it seems like the system isn't broken, so there's no sense in trying to fix it!

You realize if the whole world adopts that philosophy, duct tape sales will plummet!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Joe S.

I disturbed the peace and was ALMOST severely punished. I'm still scared to tears when I think of what parklandturner might do to me! :eek::biggrin:

Dale Lynch

As both a moderator and a member, I say you're being to hard on yourself. Enjoy whats left of the Bash.... Start planning on new stuff for next years contests and look for fun stuff in between!

Trust me, we as mods (and Jeff AND bash planners) do a lot to make sure that we can try to keep this the great place it is.

We get a member here and there that we have to deal with, but its a pretty small population.

Now, if you're still feeling like a buzzkill, then here is your punishment. Go find 5 pens in the SOYP forum, find something you like about them and say something nice! :)

Dean

I'll find 6 if that's OK.

I'm not sure what you did, but I'll take your word that you did something. I addition to Dean's (alphageek) excellent suggestion I would further suggest you consider something more tangible. Check out this link

ONE TRANSGRESSION FORGIVEN FOR EACH POINT PURCHASED

You'll know all is forgiven if you win this:

WOWSER!!

Ed

Even if you don't win (or even buy points) I suspect everything will be OK......

I'd really like to but I don't think theres anything left in my couch cushions after entering a pen in one of the contests.

FWIW,
Ed
That was just plain funny.

While I am quite certain you may have posted this on my behalf ;) I have to say that psychology teaches us to be assertive but not react. When you react to what others have done then, especially mentally, that gives them control over you and that is a very bad thing. Be assertive is the proper response here.

This came about from my non understanding of how the photo contests work.After that was cleared up to me there was hardly any more positive comments posted in any of them.I feared that I had yet again turned everyone off and killed another thread.

Thanks everyone for responding.Talking to myself about it was going nowhere.

toddlajoie

This came about from my non understanding of how the photo contests work.After that was cleared up to me there was hardly any more positive comments posted in any of them.I feared that I had yet again turned everyone off and killed another thread.

Absolutely not the case. The voting contests often get a flurry of replies right away, and unless a couple of individuals get into a good-natured exchange of ribbing and self deprecating to keep it alive (but who do we know that would shamelessly do that?!?!?!), the comments often drop off sharply after the first day.

edstreet

Absolutely not the case. The voting contests often get a flurry of replies right away, and unless a couple of individuals get into a good-natured exchange of ribbing and self deprecating to keep it alive (but who do we know that would shamelessly do that?!?!?!), the comments often drop off sharply after the first day.

This is a minefield situation right here. I would like to address one important fact that seems to be overlooked here.

non understanding of how the photo contests work. <- THIS is the root of the problem here Spanx. This automatically sets the user up for fail and more often than not we blame ourselves. (we being generic public) I would like to counter and ask one question in response to this. If you do not ask questions and do not understand how something works then how do you expect to do any of the following: enjoy the comtest, excel in the contest or even rank well; and finally look back on the contest with a lasting positive impression.

When people ask questions they are actively seeking information, most commonly is something they do not understand. They say the only bad question is the question you do not ask. However I can point you to some questions that caused some large unforeseen events, namely the big one I posted in the photo thread. This is perhaps the #1 reason that thread you mentioned went quiet, lot happening behind the scenes that you are unaware of.

Lastly I wanted to point out don't blame yourself for the thread killing and you can blame me for that :) I make an excellent fall guy :)

plantman

I know I was confused about the rules in several contests, and advised to submit my entrys into different contests. I had to switch my entry from embedded to tube on because my pen did not have the materiasl cast all the way through the blank. Embedded= to fix or be fixed into a surrounding mass. ??? Also I do not think you should clarify or change the rules in the middle of a contest after some people have already submitted their entry!! And the statement of "just enjoy the contest, we will fix it next year", sounds like are goverment at work. Just my opion. Jim S

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I am sorry for the confusion. We attempt to keep the contests as UN-complicated as possible and write the rules so they can be easily understood. We will take a hard look at all the rules for every contest in the coming 12 months. Why didn't we take that hard look prior to this year's Bash? Because the rules for these contests, except for Antler, Bone and Horn which is new, have been in place for years and there has never been a problem. There have been minor tweaks over the years but they are all basically the same. We saw no reason to devote time to something that seemed to be working fine.

One of the biggest fallacies of communication is the belief that it has actually taken place. Words and their meanings change over time and vary from person to person. Interpretation of the English language can be very subjective. Case in point: The Constitution of the United States. That is arguably one of the most incredible, well written documents in existence, especially when one considers the conditions and circumstances during the time it was written. Yet it's meaning is constantly questioned and it's interpretation continually defined for us by the Supreme Court, a branch of government that exists solely for the purpose of doing just that. Defining the meaning of the Constitution and it's application.

We try our best to provide the membership with what the majority of the members want. We will continue to do so with the realization that we will never please everyone or clarify every issue to everyone's satisfaction. We will take a look at all the rules because we now know that there may be a clarity problem with them, at least for some members.

Last edited:

brownsfn2

I think you might want the rules to be a survey question. I think the majority probably did not have an issue. I know I went with the title of the contest when I considered my entry and really only paid attention to the rules right before submission. Of course not ideal but these contests are supposed to be fun. I hate paying attention to detail. :)

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I will be soliciting feedback on the Bash in general, as I do every year, at the end of the Bash. I might even get it posted today. Based on the comments received in response to that thread, and comments received in other threads (such as this one) we can make a determination of whether or not something needs to be changed, if something ought to stay the same, of if something needs further attention, such as a poll to resolve. As stated earlier, we are never going to please everyone. I'm happy if we can please a majority.

Top Bottom