Penache - custom cast, wire and color shift mica +

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

This one I did the wire differently. It is floating above the tube instead of flat against it. Difficulty was several levels above what I have been doing.
Comments, criticism and questions welcome.
89EB30A6-C52E-480E-A701-10DA15F86A5D.jpeg
C7D64D3A-8F74-4FCF-A8B2-59E2ED90898E.jpeg
08230A18-D3F4-4CC3-893E-423FC817CEA7.jpeg
862DB551-B2EE-4684-AA5B-9851F722C084.jpeg
B34B5342-7F59-4DAE-BCB9-5EA08DB4683F.jpeg
BB6B8AAD-5DC2-423D-A94D-2745A881D5CD.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

I had this thought the other day of doing this. You did a great job! What color did you paint the tubes?
Thanks!
the tubes are covered in a color shift flake by eye candy. First I colored the tubes with a black sharpie then I used a water based gold size that I stippled for texture, allow it to come to a tack and then dust the mica on. This process gives the best reflective/brightest effect.
on the water based size - I HATE it, will never use it again. Stick with oil based quick size. Far superior.
about the floating wire - I'm not sure it is worth the effort vs. attaching it to the tube. It's much more exacting but there is only a slight visual difference.

PatrickR

The floating wire is most definitely worth it! That's what sets it apart
There is an optical illusion that the wire bends with contour. The tolerances are tight even on this kit. The wire would need to be much thinner to work with most. This is .026 hard SS.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks!
it looks like you were almost there.
i did criss cross a couple wires but didn't care for the look.
Mine also. Looked promising, but the ends were an issue to be dealt with. I developed a Urethane (Alumilite) sensitivity, so I discarded this path and gave up my pressure pot, etc. BUT, the basic concept is still untaped!

Fred Bruche

Very appealing result, I can't quite fully grasp the amount of work to get there, I'm guessing it wasn't a late night project.
Not sure I'm a fan of the step-up to the body finial transition, is there a practical/technical reason for that?

PatrickR

Very appealing result, I can't quite fully grasp the amount of work to get there, I'm guessing it wasn't a late night project.
Not sure I'm a fan of the step-up to the body finial transition, is there a practical/technical reason for that?
Thanks Fred. That was not part of my original idea but became necessary because my rings were not large enough. So yes, a "technical" reason.

jttheclockman

Love the work you are doing with the wire theme. Years ago I started to dabble a little but I just do not have enough time in my l;ife to complete all the pet projects I want to do with scrollsawing, woodworking in general and pen turning as hobbies. Now I have been working on my home for the past 2 years and still much to do so my shop time is limited. But every winter I try to get down there to do something. Here is a couple wire pens I played with. Maybe you would like to incorporate the idea some which should be very easy with the thinner wires you are using.

Copy of Copy of IMGP0297.JPG
Copy of Copy of IMGP0404.JPG
IMGP0011.JPG

Top Bottom