Pen World

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I just got my edition of Pen World today and started scanning it and I ran into an interesting article that made me smile. The title is Pen Turners Present The IAP Collection. In it is a write up about The pen collection that makes its way around to different venues and explains how Mark James decided to take matters in his own hands and create this innovative idea after so much debate over Hall of Fame or Best of the Best pens here on the site.

He goes on to explain the true purpose of these pens and that how people love to feel and touch real pens as oppose to just seeing photos. This is true for sure. There are a couple of the pens that made it into the photo which all are great examples of this project.

Mark has explained this many times here and this collection can be seen here in the link provided on the front page. Easy to find for all to see. Mark's effort and determination to get this project underway and move it forward goes a long way in showing the willingness to share on this site. This is a project that will only continue to grow and take on the recognition it deserves. The article in a prestigious magazine such as this, is a feather in the cap of not only Mark but to all whose pens are there and to the owner (Jeff) of this site. Definitely something to be proud of. Thanks Mark.

If you get the magazine check it out.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/collection.php

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That's cool. Is the magazine worth the subscription cost normally? Any way to get it at a discounted rate?

Dan

It is an individual thing. I believe it is because I draw inspiration from many of the top pen designers. I am not one that likes to just use basic blanks. I like to add some WOW factor to my pens. Some issues are always better than others. But I write it off on my taxes at the end of the year:) there have been a few of our members here that have articles written about them. Makes you smile because they are like your family members and you say hey I know that person.:)

As far as discounts I do not think so. But in 2012 Jeff was able to get one and maybe he can do this again if there is enough interest. Here is the thread back then.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/pen-world-subscription-discount-95047/

plantman

John; Thank you for bringing this fact up. I know Mark had said something about it at our Wisconsin meeting earlier this month, but I though it wasn't coming out until after the first of the year. Also thanks to Mark and Jeff for following up on this great idea !!! Jim S

Scott

I think it's great that Mark got that article in the magazine! Pen World is a great magazine! They have been great to work with!

Scott

jttheclockman

I think it's great that Mark got that article in the magazine! Pen World is a great magazine! They have been great to work with!

Scott

For those that do not know Scott was the one working out the deal back then. That is when I got on board and have ever since and even gotten back issues. Love seeing eye candy.:)

mecompco

Didn't know this magazine existed--thanks for mentioning it! I'd be all over a subscription if there were a discount (yeah, I'm thrifty (cheap)).

Regards,
Michael

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks for posting JT.

I have not seen the article yet in it's final form.

I CAN TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS!

Jerry Ceppos, who wrote the article (and is a pen collector and member of IAP) approached me and floated the idea of an interview and short article for Pen World. I considered for about 1/2 second before saying Yes, Yes Yes...

I look forward to seeing it (I have a subscription).

However, from the draft that I read, I will say that my only comment to Jerry was ... "To much me! Not enough pen!" I suspect as a good Editor/Journalist (He is the Dean of Journalism at LSU) he ignored my suggestion and wrote it as he wished - which is entirely appropriate, and I told him so.

My only reason for the comment is that the IAP Collection is about the Pens and being able to see, hold and appreciate others work in person. The caretaker whomever it is simply that - a caretaker (of which I am proud of being the first, and will be even prouder to pass it off someday, as it's future is bright).

Mark

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
This is great. I knew it was coming, but it's so nice to hear that it actually happened! (I am tardy on subscription renewal!)

Mark, you may not want any credit for the article, but The Collection is a huge contribution to the IAP and all pen makers.

Kragax

I just checked it out. Pretty pens but there is a lot of pics of commercially made pens. Not what I'd want to pay 42.00 for, too many ads.

jttheclockman

I just checked it out. Pretty pens but there is a lot of pics of commercially made pens. Not what I'd want to pay 42.00 for, too many ads.

That is what the magazine is. There are always articles written by pen makers. There is an interesting article called Who Really Invented the Fountain Pen??? No it wasn't Al Gore:) It is a magazine not for everyone and is somewhat steep in price but you have to look at the quality of the paper stock used and the format. Not your everyday on the newsstand magazine. This is why I said that any article we get written up in there is a huge deal. It is a prestigious magazine in the field of Pens.

lchandler

from the Pen World editor

I'm so glad to see the great feedback about Jerry Ceppos's article in Pen World. Thank you so much. I will attempt to answer some of the questions that have arisen and first of all I offer this observation: Pen World comes out six times a year (not quarterly) and has not gone up in the per-copy price of $6.95 since the magazine's inception almost 30 years ago. We have been able to keep our prices low by having fewer people do more work--same as every other business, and especially true for print publishing. Please understand that we have to make a profit in order to stay in business. There is a digital version available at about 30% off through Magzster.com. People who subscribe to the print version get the digital version gratis.
It is possible to get a single issue. You can find contact phone numbers and emails at penworld.com. The main number is 713-869-9997.
Best wishes,
Laura Chandler
Editor-in-chief, Pen World

jttheclockman

I'm so glad to see the great feedback about Jerry Ceppos's article in Pen World. Thank you so much. I will attempt to answer some of the questions that have arisen and first of all I offer this observation: Pen World comes out six times a year (not quarterly) and has not gone up in the per-copy price of $6.95 since the magazine's inception almost 30 years ago. We have been able to keep our prices low by having fewer people do more work--same as every other business, and especially true for print publishing. Please understand that we have to make a profit in order to stay in business. There is a digital version available at about 30% off through Magzster.com. People who subscribe to the print version get the digital version gratis.
It is possible to get a single issue. You can find contact phone numbers and emails at penworld.com. The main number is 713-869-9997.
Best wishes,
Laura Chandler
Editor-in-chief, Pen World

Hello Laura

Thanks for stopping by and to comment. It was my bad when I initiated the posting of the article to not mention Jerry Ceppos name as the writer of the article. he did a good job with it. It is always good to see our little corner of the pen turning world get recognized now and then. To get mentioned in a magazine such as yours is a feather in the caps of the members here and the founder Jeff. We thank you and hope to see more.

I also heard through the grapevine that you are joining our Bash party as a vendor and that will be great to have a prize such as a subscription to your magazine. Thank you very much.

Continued success with the magazine. I know I enjoy it very much.

Top Bottom