Pen wizard question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lauras

Hi, I'm just learning how to use my pen wizard. It came with no instructions. I'm wanting to learn how to make the pens with what I would call a full barley twist design. (Not just a engraved spiral design.) Can anyone tell me, what cutting tip to use, and how to set up the machine? Thanks -

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Hi, I'm just learning how to use my pen wizard. It came with no instructions. I'm wanting to learn how to make the pens with what I would call a full barley twist design. (Not just a engraved spiral design.) Can anyone tell me, what cutting tip to use, and how to set up the machine? Thanks -
Here is the router bit I use: https://www.amazon.com/Magnate-7597-Rope-Router-Bits/dp/B0006OGSGU
Not sure if a rope twist qualifies as a barley twist.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

jrista

I've been learning how to use my Pen Wizard lately. I picked up one of the last that were available a little after they closed up shop, and I received some documentation (not much on paper, I can scan it all in to a PDF if you wish). It also came with a DVD, which I ripped to videos on my hard drive (DVD playback software never seems to work these days, so I always rip em to video files.) I would probably need to check with Lee Valley to see if they would have a problem with me uploading them, or maybe we could just ask Lee to put all the Pen Wizard instructional videos online somewhere themselves. In any case, there is much more instruction in the videos, than in any paper documentation.

Lauras

I've been learning how to use my Pen Wizard lately. I picked up one of the last that were available a little after they closed up shop, and I received some documentation (not much on paper, I can scan it all in to a PDF if you wish). It also came with a DVD, which I ripped to videos on my hard drive (DVD playback software never seems to work these days, so I always rip em to video files.) I would probably need to check with Lee Valley to see if they would have a problem with me uploading them, or maybe we could just ask Lee to put all the Pen Wizard instructional videos online somewhere themselves. In any case, there is much more instruction in the videos, than in any paper documentation.
Hi, I watched some youtube videos and it didn't help much, maybe if we could get that stuff in the files it would help.

jrista

Hi, I watched some youtube videos and it didn't help much, maybe if we could get that stuff in the files it would help.
Yeah, the youtube stuff is really just the intro chapter.

I'll scan the paper docs that came with it. Some of that covers how to adjust the gearing to get the kind of tracking you need. Since you want a spiral path, then that should help.

jrista

This is a booklet. Print it out duplex (on both sides, so page 1 is side one of the first piece of paper, and page 2 is side 2, etc.) There are just three printed pages total. Once you have all three printed on both sides, stack em, fold in half, and you have the booklet. The last two pages of the booklet contain the gear configurations for various standardized patterns. Some spiral, some Guilloche.

jttheclockman

This is a booklet. Print it out duplex (on both sides, so page 1 is side one of the first piece of paper, and page 2 is side 2, etc.) There are just three printed pages total. Once you have all three printed on both sides, stack em, fold in half, and you have the booklet. The last two pages of the booklet contain the gear configurations for various standardized patterns. Some spiral, some Guilloche.
This should get put in the library. very good.

its_virgil

Ed Davidson, aka yoyospin, had videos for the pen wizard. They seem to not be available but it would be nice if there were.

BTW, I use a Foredom knock off tool with the Foredom 44T handset which will hold the 1/4 inch router bits.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

d_bondi

If we do, it might be worth trying to slice it up so all the pages are in the right order. Right now, first to last, its actually kind of out of order and an odd read.
That is a good idea. I have a licensed version of Adobe Acrobat. I'll mess around with it tonight to see if I can't split it up.

d_bondi

Okay, I took the file that @jrista uploaded and split the pages and put them in order.

Attachments

• The Beall Pen Wizard Ornamental Pen Lathe Instructions.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
Top Bottom