Pen Turning Lore VIII - The Fountain of Youth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables - VIII

The Fountain of Youth

So many duped explorers, so many incorrect interpretations, so much money lost to a flawed objective.

From Alexander The Great, to Ponce de Leon, countless explorers spent their entire lifetimes on a fool's errand; all were tantalized by a legendary "Fountain" that would restore youth and health.

Admittedly, this tale has roots in many cultures: Japan, Medieval Europe, Polynesia, the Canary Islands, England, Native Americans, and indigenous peoples of Mexico and the caribbean. Why has it never been discovered? It is helpful to return to the earliest known rendition of this famous epic.

As in many translations, key words and phrases are often lost in the process. Sadly, this tale is an excellent representation of lost meanings, and misguided ventures for ages and ages.

The original text read:

"Behold to discover the Magical Fountain Pen Of Youth,
crafted by the young,
to be wielded by the young,
for insight, wisdom and knowledge beyond their years."

In the vanity of the rich, powerful nobility, the desire for everlasting youth corrupted the true meaning of this tale. There never was a magical fountain, no supreme quest would ever find one, and certainly no elderly king or conquerer would return to the innocence of their youth.

So, it was not a restorative "fountain" at all; it was a mystical Fountain Pen of Youth. A pen turned by a youth that held magical powers, and could only be useful in the hands of other youths.

The youth are our future, they will complete the aspirations we leave unfulfilled. We need to nurture, respect and foster their creativity. As we pass, so they will continue our quest - however we may define it.

May everyone be mindful of the Youth Penturning Contest (TBA), and witness what may "turn up" - insight, wisdom and knowledge!

Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables I - John Hancock's Signature
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables II - Elon Musk and the Chase for his Roadster
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables III - The Scribe, the Master Segmenter and World Peace.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables IV - The Path to Pen Turning Enlightenment.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables V - The Tortoise and the Hare.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables VI - The War of the Roses.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables VII - The First Marathon

Addendum: The Four Little Penturner's

_

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Again, great thoughts, but what are you doing up at 0200?

After 40 years of pulling an early start in multiple settings I just cannot get my sleep cycle adjusted back. It started when I delivered newspapers in Cleveland at age 13 at 4 AM. The last 25 years when I had my own business and 2 locations, I did my own snowplowing - up at 3 AM. :redface:.

Top Bottom