Pen Turning Lore V - The Tortoise and the Hare

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables - V

The Tortoise And The Hare​

One day a silly young hare was bragging about how wonderful he could turn a pen. He bragged and bragged and even laughed at an old tortoise, who was admittedly a very slow pen turner. After weeks and weeks of boasting, the old, but wise tortoise stretched out his long neck and challenged the hare to a contest, which, of course, made the hare laugh.

A Contest, what a joke thought the hare. That old tortoise doesn't stand a chance.

"A contest. Oh! what fun! My, my! Yes, Mr. Tortoise, we shall have a contest!" said the hare.​

All the forest animals agreed to meet when both pens were completed, and vote for the best pen in the land. The contest begun, and the hare, being such a swift pen turner, soon had his pen done. The hare waited, and waited and waited for the old Tortoise to finish his pen. After several days, the hare was getting very impatient and in his unbridled confidence began to sign autographs with the forest animals with his pen. After several signatures, the hare's pen stopped writing - alas he used a cheap ink cartridge because he didn't want to take the time to use a better one. And the pen didn't always retract the cartridge as the hare had rushed his assembly because… well, you know how that happens.

The old tortoise finally appeared and presented his pen to the forest animals. It was a beautiful segmented pen using spectacular colors and designs. A true masterpiece. It wrote beautifully, the fit and finish were perfect and it felt good in the hand (well, paws). The hare produced his pen… both halves of it. Deep circular sanding scratches were everywhere, the ends were both proud of the components, the clip spun around like a top. The refill was permanently stuck in an open position and was dry and would not write.

The forest animals proclaimed the Wise Old Tortoise as the winner of the contest.

The moral of the story is that you can be more successful by doing things slowly and steadily than by acting quickly and carelessly.

The Tortoise gave the hare a new high quality refill, showed him how to replace the damaged components and offered the hare some abranet and micro mesh. He then said, very slowly: "All my skills at doing things slowly, steadily and with care and precision I learned by being a Segmented Pen Turner."

Calling all Old Tortoises: The Segmented Pen Contest.​

Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables I - John Hancock's Signature
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables II - Elon Musk and the Chase for his Roadster
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables III - The Scribe, the Master Segmenter and World Peace.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables IV - The Path to Pen Turning Enlightenment.

Addendum: The Four Little Penturner's

_

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Alas, the old tortoise, having drank too much cheap whiskey in celebration of his victory, couldn't hold his tolerances on the way home and slipped off a rock (by only the smallest of fractions) and cracked his shell.

"What shall we do" cried the animals! We cannot make him whole with mud or rocks of even segments of wood!

The hare, still feeling the sting of defeat, had learned a new skill while turning 100 more pens and getting better while waiting for the old tortoise to finish 1 pen. He learned to cast resin. So he brought the old fart into his shop, carefully match the color of the tortoise shell. Added a touch of macro pearl to bring out the grey in the old reptile's age, and cast a resin patch over the damaged area of the shell.

All the animals were amazed. Looking back at the tortoise's segmented wooden pen, it was a feat. But it was also just wood and looked like so much of the rest of the forest. But the new spot on his repaired shell was beautiful. It all the colors of his shell and a bit of bling in the swirl to match his graying age. Polished to a high shine and showing no scratches, "how did you know what to do?" The forest asked.

"Well, my first pen was made of wood and it was nice, but while waiting on the tortoise my pen got wet, then it dried, then it baked in the sun and I carried it everywhere and got the marks that looked like circular sanding scratches... I knew there must be something better." They all learned the rabbit bought some resin blanks and then learned to cast himself. While still waiting on the tortoise he entered another pen in the Pretty Resin Pen contest and his great success gave him the confidence needed to know he could help the tortoise.

And they all lived happily ever after.

This message is brought to you by the Pretty Resin Pen Contest
Take a look at the rules for what is considered the fairest, best balanced competition for all members:http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/pretty-resin-pen-contest-rules-157766/

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
On behalf of all us BASH Volunteers who probably have latent "BACAF" Syndrome (Brain Addled CA Fume Syndrome), we appreciate everyone tolerating our efforts to promote the contests.

magpens

Ha, Ha !! . You guys should both be running for President in 2020 ... well, right now, actually !

Top Bottom