Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables - III

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables - III

The Scribe, Master Segmenter and World Peace

Some obscure historical lore of dubious truth:

Somewhere in Sweden in 1718 efforts were being made to conclude hostilities between Prussia and Sweden (The Great Northern War). Tense negotiations between untrusting parties were needed.

In order to initiate the process of negotiating a truce, both sides agreed to meet. A nearby neutral Nobleman agreed to host the two Military Leaders. Delegations from the three men sat for a Concert and a Feast, to be followed by joint negotiations the following day. Tensions were running high and betrayal was suspected. Doom was in the air. A smooth event was crucial.

After the usual greetings, pomp and circumstances and otherwise boring but necessary details, everyone sat for the concert. The music that evening was being performed by a protoge of J.S Bach, but who's name was suspiciously never recorded.

The piece he was to play was an early draft of what would become the "1720 KlavierbĂĽchlein." All went well with the Prelude, but disaster occurred during the Fugue (a generally gloomy selection in the best of times). As the Harpsichordist began, a horrible sound emitted from the delicate clavier. Alas, one of the quills within the instrument had broken off - mischief, deceit and sabotage were whispered in hushed voices (so we assume).

As everyone sat in tense silence, the Noblemen's Court Scribe emerged out of the shadows and claimed a repair on the broken Harpsichord Quill with a piece from his own scribe's quill pen was possible, but he did not know how to join the pieces. A voice rang out: "Noble Lord, there is hope." The Nobleman asked who owned the voice, and a man stepped forward and stated - I, Mssr Siegmenteur, a humble turner of wood. He stated that he needed some string. As silence descended on the hall, The two leaders of the mighty armies stood and each offered - a shoe (really, really). One string lace was cut from each shoe, was paired with the section of quill from the scribe's pen and the needed repair was accomplished.

The concert was finished in grand fashion, the feast was a joyous event and through the cooperation and humility of the dignitaries the two delegations left the next morning in peace. They had learned that joyous music could be produced with broken shoelaces, a scribe's quill pen and some inspiration from a humble turner of wood.

As history records,

Subsequent Treaties were signed in Stockholm to end hostilities between Sweden and Prussia (1718, 1720 and 1724).

The final rendition of the concert music was ultimately J S Bach's "Well Tempered Clavier," 1724.

And a humble turner of wood (Mssr Siegmenteur), was forever revered as the first Master Segmenter, and savior of world peace.

In honor of Mssr Siegmenteur, may I redirect you to: The Segmented Pen Contest. Fame, glory and world peace may await you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mark,
That was good!

I was never a fan of history when I "had" to learn it in high school, but I really got intrigued with it in college and grad school, when the focus of history was on small tid-bits, in a manner similar to what you posted, and how history was changed because of a generally unknown store owner, or farmer, or preacher or seamstress or a home cooked meal.

A decision was about to be made one way or the other, and then the encounter with one of the above and the decision was made because of the encounter with the little known person.

Thanks for posting!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark,
That was good!

I was never a fan of history when I "had" to learn it in high school, but I really got intrigued with it in college and grad school, when the focus of history was on small tid-bits, in a manner similar to what you posted, and how history was changed because of a generally unknown store owner, or farmer, or preacher or seamstress or a home cooked meal.

A decision was about to be made one way or the other, and then the encounter with one of the above and the decision was made because of the encounter with the little known person.

Thanks for posting!

Hi Hank:

Just trying to have some fun while pushing the contests. Kind of a fun activity for a rainy morning.

magpens

Mark,

Great story ... keep them coming !!!

You are quite the B... S... artist !! ... (Oh, lest it be thought otherwise, that means Bon Segmenteur !!!)

Cwalker935

As an aside, the Noble Scribe much in need of a pen after selflessly giving up his pen asked Mssr Siegmenteur to make him a replacement. Mssr Siegmenteur having quickly shed his cloak of humbleness declared "I have more important matters to attend" and directed his truly humble apprentice to make a replacement. The apprentice bend to the task and produced a most wonderous Slimline that was worthy of entry into:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/bash-slimline-contest-157472/

ajollydds

All this talk of history and quills reminds me of a Eagle that segmented with feathers.
IMG_1979.JPG

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ha ... Aesop ! . That would be a good name for a new ... and fabulous ... pen kit !!

I think we could design it, Mal. It would be solid, yet...whimsical. :biggrin:

Whimsical, eh ? ... could that be a red herring !

Shucks Guys: As we all know - "The gill covers sometimes glisten with a golden or brassy gloss; indeed, fish just out of the water are iridescent all over with different hues of blue, green, and violet; but these colors soon fade, leaving only the dark back and silvery sides. (Google Brains - The color of a very dead herring)."

No hint of a True Red Herring. BUT, we could gut it, dye it, cast it, and turn a (you know what).

ahhh, but I don't want to be a dead "Red" Herring, even if you guys are going to segment me. Although, I'm pretty sure I'd look good..... but, if you do, I'm kinda partial to a bronze and dark red tones, they show off my eyes.

sbwertz

Mark,
That was good!

Thanks for posting!

I was blessed with an American History professor in college who left me with a lifelong love of history. At the beginning of the semester, he handed out a sheet of paper that gave the list of exams for the semester, the chapters in the text each exam would cover, and the date. That was the last time he mentioned the textbook.

His lectures were all done from news paper articles, personal letters, journals, speeches, etc from the period. Oh how I hated missing one of his classes! This was long before small tape recorders were available, unfortunately. I took whole steno books full of notes, although the exams were based only on the texts, not the lectures, but the information was presented in such a fascinating manner that I wanted to keep it.

An amazing man and a brilliant teacher.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark,
That was good!

Thanks for posting!

I was blessed with an American History professor in college who left me with a lifelong love of history. At the beginning of the semester, he handed out a sheet of paper that gave the list of exams for the semester, the chapters in the text each exam would cover, and the date. That was the last time he mentioned the textbook.

His lectures were all done from news paper articles, personal letters, journals, speeches, etc from the period. Oh how I hated missing one of his classes! This was long before small tape recorders were available, unfortunately. I took whole steno books full of notes, although the exams were based only on the texts, not the lectures, but the information was presented in such a fascinating manner that I wanted to keep it.

An amazing man and a brilliant teacher.

I was equally blessed in my Undergraduate to "had" a requirement to fulfill. On option was "Mythology" taught by a latin professor. No problem, an easy reading class... Well, no! It was one of the more rigorous classes I had. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but massive reading of all the classics, and a liberal interpretation. He emphasized not to read any of it literally, but to interpret how it could have meaning for our current lives through life lessons.

Read, interpret and apply.

MRDucks2

Did you know that plastic is used in many Harpsichord assemblies in the modern age to help relieve the stresses and movement of some the more sensitive parts of the instrument? Had resin supports, jack screws, been available in 1718, this incident may have been altogether prevented and everyone could have participated in the event with less stress.

As such, don't forget to use a Modern Pen Blank in February for what many consider the ideal contest, the Pretty Resin Pen Contest

Take a look at the rules for what is considered the fairest, best balanced competition for all members:http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/pretty-resin-pen-contest-rules-157766/

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
View attachment 229825

If this is No 3, have you got another couple hidden away?

Yes, I did a bunch last year to promote the BASH (maybe 14-15, I forgot), I did not suspect many want a repeat, but I'll post a link for the last and you can backtrack.

Last I think is #15: Penturning Lore, Myth and Fables (all are simply for fun and entirely fabricated with bits of real history).

At the bottom of this story, you can access the previous ones.

#15: Pen Turning Lore XV - King Edward I and Philip the Carpenter

Last edited:
Top Bottom