Pen Turning Lore IX - Banjo O'Leary and The Call of the Kookaburra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables - IX

Banjo O'Leary and The Call of the Kookaburra

A durry hanging from his mouth, his swag slumped on his back, Banjo O'Leary was just stuffed, rooted and feeling again like a drongo.

They say that the Australian Outback is the one place where no one will stand in front of you, or behind you; the best you can hope for is that they will stand with you. The only certainly is that if you can't muster up your courage, the flies, spiders, drop bears, dingos and red kangaroos will show you why the "Red Center" is remote and sparsely populated by the two-leggers. In this region there are few sick people, if you get sick with no cobber in sight, well - you'll probably die.

It would be easy to say that Ol Banjo O'Leary was at the end of his line. Years spent roaming the MacDonnell Ranges, splitting opals at Lightening Ridge, working in the oil fields in the Copper Basin, running with the Adelaide Darwin Railroad, surviving the coalfields in Leigh Creek and most recently toiling an airfield for the RFDS (Royal Flying Doctor Service), nothing seemed to last for Banjo.

One of the few pleasures left to this old Bruce was to simply sit in the shade of some trees and listen. Just listen. One of the wonders of remote locations is how noisy they actually can be. The sounds may be subtle, they may also be far away. But sounds carry for long distances and can tell you a lot of the lay of the land.

On this day Old Banjo was doing just that, sitting near a billabong, contemplating how to avoid becoming a Bludger, wondering where his next brekky would come from - and listening.

He heard it. Very faint, then louder, then faint again. Back and forth. This continued over and over. The laughter of a Kookaburro. Banjo hoisted up his his tired bag of bones, gave an Aussie Salute, and followed the call of the Kookaburra.

Following a worn path, Banjo came to a small outpost and met an old bloke who was hard at work. Banjo sat near by and watched. After a spell, the man stopped working and Banjo asked what he was doing. "I'm turning pens, what are you legless? This is the best job for someone out woop woop. All you need is some skill and lots of Eucky." This got Old Banjo's attention right quick.

As they traded words, the man told Banjo that he was ready to close his outpost. his life clock was almost done and he would soon be returning to a softer bed. He also said he could no longer locate any more suitable timbers for his projects, so his outpost was worthless. He said Banjo could have it if he wanted it, but that prospects were poor for success.

Banjo pulled a small bag of opal fragments from his pocket and gave it to the man. "This is my last, and all I can repay for your offer, which I will take. I believe I can make a go of it here just fine." The next day they parted ways. The opals gave the man enough to lie comfortably for a few more seasons, and Old Banjo soon had a thriving wood turning shop; he also had an abundance of timbers to meet all his needs.

As it turned out, Old Banjo had learned a thing or two during his many years in the Outback. Eucky referred to Eucalyptus. Eucalyptus is a gum tree. And…

The Kookaburra sits in the Old Gum Tree!

Just follow the laughter of the Kookaburra.

(Old Banjo had also learned another valuable lesson:
The Old Gum Tree supplies the finest material for turning entering the
Pretty Wood Pen Contest.​

Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables I - John Hancock's Signature
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables II - Elon Musk and the Chase for his Roadster
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables III - The Scribe, the Master Segmenter and World Peace.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables IV - The Path to Pen Turning Enlightenment.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables V - The Tortoise and the Hare.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables VI - The War of the Roses.
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and Fables VII - The First Marathon
Pen Turning Lore, Myths and fables VIII - The Fountain of Youth

Addendum: The Four Little Penturner's

-

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I don't know how you come up with these, but please keep it up. I, and I'm sure many others, have enjoyed reading these tales.
Larry

Thank you Larry. Some meager skills from a previous lifetime. But, glad that you are easily entertained :wink::):wink:.

Loved the story and your ability at writing. How about a translation from some of our down under turners.

Yeah!! How close did I get?

Mark, Thanks for doing this, I look forward to reading each one! You do an awesome job!!
Please keep it up......

Just some pre BASH silliness. About 6 -7 more to come just to put everyone to sleep.

Sly Dog

I enjoy these tales as well - thank you Mark! We once had a nest of Magpies in a blue spruce in our backyard and I thought they were noisy, but they pale in comparison to the squawk of the Kookaburra.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I reckon these stories from our very skillful resident raconteur are going to become legendary. :biggrin: Mark, you are a very accomplished wordsmith. :wink:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I reckon these stories from our very skillful resident raconteur are going to become legendary. :biggrin: Mark, you are a very accomplished wordsmith. :wink:

raconteur??? What's that, a Welsh Raccoon?

Sheesh, now I'm being insulted by a rat.:wink:

or Segmonsieur!!

And now by a Hillbilly :wink::wink:.

Thanks guys :).

magpens

Kookaburra sits in the Old Gum Tree-ee;
Merry merry king of the bush is he-ee.
Laugh Kookaburra, Laugh Kookaburra !
Gay your life must be.

Top Bottom