Pen Turning BugBear - The "Spinning Clip"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I just looked up the word "bugbear" and it seems to mean an "irritation" so that's an appropriate description of this subject.

I hate it when I make a pen and the clip does not stay in the position I want, but instead, rotates or "spins", even if it takes a little effort to move it. . I want it to be firmly in place and not move at all.

Some kit designs have the clip sort of integrated with the top end and the clip cannot move in these cases. . But there are many attractive kit designs in which the clip has to be installed as a separate piece when you put everything together. . In some cases, you have quite a tight friction fit between the clip's ring and the top finial "post" that goes through the clip ring. . But in other cases this is a loose fit, and it is primarily those kit/clip designs that result in the problem of the "spinning clip".

So, I am wondering what methods people use to keep clips from moving after the pen has been pressed together.

Of course, I have tried glue ... both epoxy and CA. . With CA you have to be extremely careful how you apply it to avoid getting CA on your components and your nicely finished pen barrels. . With epoxy I usually do get a little onto the pen parts and barrel but it is not hard to remove if you act quickly. . The problem is that epoxy is not always a long term solution and eventually the clip can move in spite of having been glued.

I have not tried Loctite, mainly because it is colored and that puts me off from using it because, in most situations, the color is inappropriate.

Just wondering how others cope with the annoyance of the "spinning clip". . I would appreciate hearing, please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I put a slight bend in the ring of the clip. When it's pressed together, it acts like a spring washer.

TonyL

I started using red Loctite on all clips: inside of upper barrel and between top of the clip and the bottom of the finial. In, fact I need to do that to my own personal carry pen (executive). BTW, I have been able to dissemble even after using Red LT (maybe it is not going to prevent the spinning clip then). I will see. All sold pens, get the red LT. None of come back...maybe my customers just didn't tell me.

Curly

Red Loctite has the strongest hold and usually takes heat to break it free. Blue Loctite doesn't hold quite as well and is meant to come apart with force applied to the bolt for repairs. There is a purple that is meant for small screws that can be removed by force that is the weakest of the three. Another brand, at least here in Canada called Permatex uses the same colours for the same applications. If you go to the Loctite site it has details of what all the different products are for and how to use them. I seem to recall they have a version you can apply to assembled parts and it will wick in and lock. I don't know if it has a colour or how hard it is to clean up or disassemble.

Top Bottom