Pen Swap Anyone???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperDave

Originally posted by neon007
<br />There really are no guidelines to this swap. I would say it is up to you and your partner to figure out what kits you would like to use.

Are we to surprise our exchange partner(s) or be in communication with them about kits etc?

If we are doing wood for wood and cast for cast, will we have two partners?

Thanks!

neon007

Originally posted by SuperDave
<br />
Originally posted by neon007
<br />There really are no guidelines to this swap. I would say it is up to you and your partner to figure out what kits you would like to use.

Are we to surprise our exchange partner(s) or be in communication with them about kits etc?

If we are doing wood for wood and cast for cast, will we have two partners?

Thanks!

Well I figure this gives us 3 catagories now. Wood, casting, and both, there are plenty of people for each. Whatever comes up odd I will balance myself. so for the people doing both I will pair them together. Hope that is good for everyone.

rlharding

I'm in. Never done anything like this before. Wood for wood. I have only done slimlines and at the same time don't have a problem trying another type of kit.

Turned about 100 sold about 30.

Hello, I'm very, very, very did I say very new to turning pens. I have turned 4 one turned out very nice, 2 bad, 1 okay. What is the time line for this, it might take me a few weeks to make a pen I'm willing to send to one of you guys(you are all above my level). I would like to do this , but if we need to have them done in a week I'm just scared I won't be able to do it. I just started working on my plexiglass finish, and next I'm going to try CA. Whats the time line??? I would be in for wood to wood. Thanks, Victor

Hey, sounds like a great idea! Wood for Wood sounds good to me. I am recuperating from surgery and have time to play a whole bunch.5th month off work, and I am starting to answer myself when I am in the shop.

Hayseedboy

Newbie here too. I have done 5 and 1/2. Would be fun but like others I am concerned I might not send as good of a kit to someone sending me not only a nicer kit but a much nicer turning.

Just tell me what to do... My wife always does :)

I'd be in wood for wood.

Larry

cowchaser

Originally posted by LandfillLumber
<br />Hello, I'm very, very, very did I say very new to turning pens. I have turned 4 one turned out very nice, 2 bad, 1 okay. What is the time line for this, it might take me a few weeks to make a pen I'm willing to send to one of you guys(you are all above my level). I would like to do this , but if we need to have them done in a week I'm just scared I won't be able to do it. I just started working on my plexiglass finish, and next I'm going to try CA. Whats the time line??? I would be in for wood to wood. Thanks, Victor

I personally don't think it's about how great the kit is you send or anything else like that. To me it's more about coming together as a group and making friends along the way. You never know the kit you do may inspire someone, even a long time turner. His or hers may inspire you. Just my take on things.

broitblat

So, are you planning to match folks up where a pair of turners each do a pen for each other, or will this be more like the PITH which each turner randomly gets someone (from the wood and/or cast pool) to make a pen for?

Either way (to clarify from my earlier post) I'm in for either and/or both.

-Barry

By way of encouragement to "new" penturners--don't in any way feel intimidated by this swap...its just a chance to see what others are doing, and to share our craftsmanship. If you're paired with someone who was making pens back when the Declaration of Independence was written, SO WHAT??? No one will belittle your skills, or be disappointed in your offering. (If they do, then it doesn't say much for them, now, does it?) We all started out from the same point, and each pen we make is hopefully an improvement on our craftsmanship. This is simply a venue for sharing that craftsmanship with a like-minded person--nothing more, nothing less. Therefore, I hope that Keith WILL NOT make an effort to segregate new turners from seasoned turners---its just not in the spirit of the game! And you new folks, don't worry, you'll do just fine! I for one will be very proud of the pen I receive, no matter WHO it is from--I will have made a new friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom