Pen Stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from moke

moke

Has anyone ordered a Penn State pen Stand?
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/DALPH3.html

I have a metal lathe and would like to make a round version of those.

Is that just a hole that has rounded off top or is the hole tapered?
Any idea of the size of the hole?

I could order one but really don't need anything from them...

Thanks in advance...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Aluminum square stock from the big box store, hardware store, or industrial supply as MSC. Round off the edges. No need to anodize but you could find the process on the Internet.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Has to be tapered to fit different size nibs and also keep from scratching the barrel as you take in and out. Not sure I like that because the pen stands straight up and down and reminds me of those small pencil sharpeners. I bet you can expand in the idea some and do a better job. :):):)

Look at the reviews in the link you provided and someone has included a photo of the way they did theirs using these. They too wished for a round one so they could recess in a drilled hole.

Last edited:

moke

Thank you John and Woodchipper....I need to do some thinking/research.I don't have a mill to allow for the pen to be slanted.... but maybe i might have room.....;)

jttheclockman

Thank you John and Woodchipper....I need to do some thinking/research.I don't have a mill to allow for the pen to be slanted.... but maybe i might have room.....;)

Drill on a drill press and use a reamer to taper the inside. Chuck it up in a jig to drill on angle.

PenPal

I found the tapered reamer sold in stores for electronic gear has the right taper to suit some pen tips.I suggest an insert in plastic to take the pen to avoid damage to the tip plating.

Peter.

FrankH

I bought one at Woodcrafters. It is 1 1/2 in square and 1 3/16 in. high. The hole is through. It starts with about a 7/8 in. diam and in about 1/4 in. tapers to a 1/2 in. diam. From that point the hole is straight. for me it works well for holding a pen.

Top Bottom