Pen Repair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dsanek

I recently made a Rockler Summit pen. Once assembled, I found that the transmission would not seat properly and would slip and slide in the 7mm tube, fully rotating and rendering the pen inoperable. I am wondering if its possible to drill out the existing lower tube and replace it. I believe it is the tube and not the transmission that is at fault. Or, do I just accept the fact that the kit is what it is.

If I can drill it out, what is the best way to proceed?

thanks
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

Dave: first off, that is a beautiful pen!! I would be extremely reluctant to attempt to drill out the tube. As already mentioned, I would use CA, epoxy or Loctite to secure the transmission.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Take it apart first and then try an fix it with CA or epoxy. I'm not saying you can't do fix it while assembled, but I tend to get CA all the way through done into the nib end too.

Do you have a punch set? Here is one from Harbor Freight that many people here use:

Use the punch that fits best and remove the nib end and then use the CA, or epoxy.

As to drilling out - I seriously doubt that will work. The walls of the blank are thin and not nearly as strong as the brass tubing. Drilling the tubing out will destroy the blank in all probability. The only way to drill the tubing out and leave the turned blank intact is to cast the blank as it is in a thick surrounding coat of hard resin, let it cure, then drill the tube out; glue in another tube, glue it in and then turn the resin off. Too much work except for a rare and expensive blank.

Last edited:

magpens

Without more info, I would say don't drill anything. . That blank is much too beautiful to risk the damage caused by drilling.
There has got to be another way to fix things.

Where is the slippage ? . Is it the top half of the pen that is slipping around the transmission ?

PenPauli

I have the same problem with several of my pens. That's part of the reason I stopped making and selling pens. I have had a few start slipping after sale.
I just started to make them again, someone approached me to make 10 of them, but I am reluctant to sell them again.

magpens

I have the same problem with several of my pens. That's part of the reason I stopped making and selling pens. I have had a few start slipping after sale.
I just started to make them again, someone approached me to make 10 of them, but I am reluctant to sell them again.
When you make this lot of 10, would you consider putting a little blue loctite on the transmission before you push upper barrel on?

I would not use red loctite as it is more permanent.

I would love to know what method you succeed with to stop the slippage.

I also wonder about LIGHTLY roughing up the ridges on the transmission with a file ... that might stop the slipping.

PenPauli

i Have noticed my barrel trimmer is slightly bent, I wonder if that is changing the inside diameter if the tube. I purchased a new one, we will see how that goes. I would be nervous about roughing up the transmition, it could reduce the size of making it worse. Your idea of locktite may work also.

Top Bottom