• Pen 9

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • Pen 10

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Pen 11

Votes: 27 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have 11 entries in the Pen Photo contest this year. There will be one round of voting and the poll will stay open for 3 days. You get to choose one pen. The picture is BELOW the title (Pen *). Click the thumbnail to view a larger picture.

Here we go:

Pen 1:
Pen1.jpg
Pen is made from stabilized amboyna burl on a Jr. Gent II kit.
It is photographed in a small, nylon photo booth set up in my shop. The pen is on a mirror, resting on a small piece of the leftover blank. The back wall of the booth has a gray to black gradient background. Lighting is just the ambient shop lighting.

Pen 2:
Pen2.jpg
I'd like to share a photo of a pen I just finished for my best friend. Taken in our new portable photo studio.

Pen 3:
Pen3.JPG
This is a Cigar chrome pen made with a blank with pinecones cast in red, white and blue resin.

Pen 4:
Pen4.jpg
Choose Your Weapon

Pen 5:
Pen5.jpg
I took this photograph using a shallow depth of field to focus on the blank. The blank is one of my alumilite pours fitted on an over/under shotgun pen.

Pen 6:
Pen6.JPG
This is a 30 cal in chrome. The wood is Buckeye Burl, obtained from Rocky and stabilized with cactus juice. The Buckeye gives a camo look, which to my mind works on the 30 cal style. I used a light tent, lit from both sides for the shot. Camera was a Nikon D90 with a 60mm 2.8 lens. Picture was taken at 200, f9.

Pen 7:
Pen7.jpg
'Spalted Beech Trio Of Gentlemen'

Pen 8:
Pen8.jpg
"This is a photo of a multi color tiger wrapped chrome eclipse. I must have taken 50 different photos using the limited manual adjustments,ugly every time.So I fell back to the auto setting without a half assed backround.I took the pic at 12mega pixels which was 4000x3000 pixels,then trimmed it in camera too fill the screen.Using IrfanView I auto adjusted the colors,resized it to 800x600 pixels and increased the contrast by 30.Adjusting the contrast really helped bring out the colors I couldn't capture with a straight pic,not the cameras fault,I just stink."

Pen 9:
Pen9.jpg
This picture is of an Executive Pen made from Amboyna Burl straight from Australia! The prop is a slab of cottonwood burl from my great uncle in Arizona. I set it on it's side for a different approach. The pen blank has not been stabilized, so the color is completely natural. I finished this one with a new finish I'm trying out - Solarez UV cured grain sealer and the 2 coats of Solarez Gloss Poly Resin. Polished through 12000 grit micromesh and then some one-step. Then buffed to a glass-like shine.

Pen 10:
Pen10.jpg
This is a Jr Morgan chrome kit paired with a Australian Brown Mallee burl-Stabilised/dyed blank. I love capturing the beauty of the blank and hardware. I used my Canon g12 in manual mode.I shoot in Raw. I put it in a light box and take the pic. I do some slight adjustments in Lightroom.

Pen 11: Green and Black M3 Titanium Mokume blank on* a Gold TN & Rhodium Nouveau Sceptre BP V2 Pen. Exposure*was 30 seconds at f14, ISO 100 with color temp set at 9800K in RAW format under two 60w black lights. Camera: Canon 7D with a Canon EF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 zoom lens. Used a tripod, Image Stabilizer OFF, mirror lock-up feature ON and remote shutter release control to take the picture.
Pen 11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Voting is fixed! :biggrin::eek: Oops maybe thats not quite the right way to say it.:biggrin:

How about I have fixed the problem with the votes showing......:rolleyes:

Top Bottom