Pen on someone else site policy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

Well have been contacted by the Australian Co, the one where I brought my Sea Snake Skin regarding to add the Sea Snake Baron pens photos on to they web site to promote the pen and seller it for me, so far no commission as been asked for, now my question is, what kind of policy I should make to cove my back when this type of selling process happen, sure here some poeple have experience and could tell me trick of the e-market trade, all comments will be welcome

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tangboy5000

First off, way to go. As far as selling photos online, that is a tough one. You're pretty much stuck to a one time pay out for website use. If they use it for anything else, like a printed catalog then that is a different story. The biggest problem is that you have to watch all of their promotions in order to make sure they don't use it. That can become more of a pain than it's worth.

JimGo

Serge, what are your concerns? That is, are you more worried about the re-use (or unauthorized use) of your pictures, or the payment-related issues that go along with having someone else sell for you?

As for watermarking, you can use Photoshop or another program to embed your name or logo onto the picture to "watermark" it, although that will put some people off about using your pictures. If you want to be trickier, there are programs out there that will actually alter the order of the color palette values (I think it's only with .GIF files) so that you can have a "unique" signature to your picture. It's also a way some groups are disseminating information online.

If you're worried about the other site using your pictures in a manner other than you intend, make sure you have a good licensing agreement in place.

If you're worried about the sales- or payment-related issues, that's a whole OTHER ball of wax! [:D]

Darley

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Serge, what are your concerns? That is, are you more worried about the re-use (or unauthorized use) of your pictures, or the payment-related issues that go along with having someone else sell for you?

As for watermarking, you can use Photoshop or another program to embed your name or logo onto the picture to "watermark" it, although that will put some people off about using your pictures. If you want to be trickier, there are programs out there that will actually alter the order of the color palette values (I think it's only with .GIF files) so that you can have a "unique" signature to your picture. It's also a way some groups are disseminating information online.

If you're worried about the other site using your pictures in a manner other than you intend, make sure you have a good licensing agreement in place.

If you're worried about the sales- or payment-related issues, that's a whole OTHER ball of wax! [:D]

Jim photos is not a worries for me at this stage and I thanks everyone for they comments, what I want to do is some sort of policy for payement and trade, they want sell my pens ( of this type only ) through they web site so I suppose they will make they margin who is quite understandable this is not my worries etheir, OK put this way if I say to them my pen will cost you $ 60.00 delivered in velvet sleve + postage + insurance or if they want + boxed, now what I can do in the case of they say to they clients that is they CREATION ?? ( and is not ), what I can write in the policy that will protect my work without offendent them ( I might see the price of the skin jack up too or maybe not, but poeple are funny istn't when they see a good product where they can make money ) I was thinking to give them 1 free pens for 10 sold, now another question how do you terminater a E-contract ( I don't want call Schawsey [:D] )as I will in future open my own site, any input ?

btboone

Serge, I have an agreement with a couple other sites that sell my rings. I mainly do it in case my site should happen to go down or get blackballed by search engines. They sell the ring under my name, and I ship the ring of the customers specifications from here. The other companies e-mail me the orders and handle the payment including any credit card fees. They make a 35% commission on the sale. Shipping & Handling fees come straight to us without being divided down. Either party can terminate the agreement any any time. We get paid weekly by PayPal transfer. It has worked well for a couple years with one and I recently took on another who does good sales for us. It makes sense if they might be strong on some search engines or search terms where you are not. We also deal with some brick and morter jewelers, but our main business comes through our own website.

Darley

Bruce I like your way, if I understood correctly they sell your rings, send to you the customer order with customer address for you to send the ring to the customer directly, am I correct ?,do you set the shipping charge, handling and insurance or they do? look ok for me that way and is true they got probably more power on the search engine, now where is possible to find a sample of agreement? did some one write one I can use ( with a bit of change of course )?

Thanks Bruce

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Serge, I have an agreement with a couple other sites that sell my rings. I mainly do it in case my site should happen to go down or get blackballed by search engines. They sell the ring under my name, and I ship the ring of the customers specifications from here. The other companies e-mail me the orders and handle the payment including any credit card fees. They make a 35% commission on the sale. Shipping & Handling fees come straight to us without being divided down. Either party can terminate the agreement any any time. We get paid weekly by PayPal transfer. It has worked well for a couple years with one and I recently took on another who does good sales for us. It makes sense if they might be strong on some search engines or search terms where you are not. We also deal with some brick and morter jewelers, but our main business comes through our own website.

In the agreement, why don't you try and negotiate a better price on the skins? You are going into business with them, they should give you a "manufacturers discount". Once you conclude an agreement with them they are not going to be open to further negotiations.

That would allow you a little more profit on the selling price of the pen and perhaps a way to slightly reduce your selling price to them for the finished product. Just set it up so what ever you save on the skin cost you only pass part of that saving back to them. Kind of a win/win negotiation.

btboone

Another thing to consider: It's easy to lower pricing for bigger orders, but harder to go up in price. Be sure that if you take commissions out, you are still doing OK. When I first started making and selling bike parts, I priced them to sell to the end user, and I found that it was bike shops and international distributors that became my bigger customers. I wasn't prepared for that. I have set pricing for my shipping (and "handling"), which includes a couple bucks for cushion for the fact that you need to purchase a bunch of stamps up front or for FedEx, which varies a bit. I have about 5 shipping options. You would do best to write up your own agreement. Just write the terms that you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom