Pen mills and who's shafts fit whos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipes

Will AZ shafts fit the PSI pen mill I need the BIGUN for baarons and don't wana have to buy a a pen mill also,,, and Iam NOT into making my own shafts just NOT my thing rather spend the bucks and just get it !! But I don't wana order soomthing I don't need like a new pen mill if the psi will except AZ shafts???? By the way I have ordered drill bits from about 5 places and had a pile !! AZ has the BEST bits I ever used IMHO just thought I would toss that in !~!!

http://affordablepipes.com/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Guy: Perhaps I am misreading your question....but it wouldn't be the first time. You can pretty much use any pen mill with a 7 mm pilot shaft for just about any pen kit made. Take a piece of scrap wood and drill it out for a 7 mm brass tube. "Take that scrap blank" and turn it to the ID of your Baron or whatever kit you are doing. You now have a sleeve that will allow a 7 mm mill to be used in a Baron or whatever kit. No need to have multiple mills or pilot shafts.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Randy,

I read Pipes question to be the fit of the shaft on the cutter head. The diameter of the shaft where it connects to the cutter head is the question, IMO. In that case, the different systems are not compatabile as I found out after ordering mixed sets some time back. IIRC, the AZ shafts are 3/16" where the connect to the cutter head, and the Penn State shafts are significantly larger in diameter.

FWIW,

OSCAR15

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />The cutter heads and shafts sold at ArizonaSilhouette and at Penn State are not compatible.
Not Surprising....Same as identical pen kits from different companies. I think that they add that "proprietary" twist to keep you buying from them. Wish it was standardized...Would be cheaper, and make life a little bit easier,,,,

Firefyter-emt

The best thing to do is measure the kit and then the mill shaft. I have a nice digital veneer caliper I use all the time for this. I have also gotten into the habit of measureing my bushings when new and printing a lable to stick in my pen boxes where I place the bushings if not in use. (I also lablel the bushing number) I would think the is almost mandatory, how else do you know if the bushings are wearing down? It is great to measure drill bits too.

I plan to make sleeves on my metal lathe. Probably out of brass, fit a drill to the pen mill diameter and just turn the outside to spec. [:D]

Randy_

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Randy,

I read Pipes question to be the fit of the shaft on the cutter head. The diameter of the shaft where it connects to the cutter head is the question, IMO. In that case, the different systems are not compatabile as I found out after ordering mixed sets some time back. IIRC, the AZ shafts are 3/16" where the connect to the cutter head, and the Penn State shafts are significantly larger in diameter.

FWIW,

I agree with your interpretation. I just read a little extra into the post. I'm assuming the reason for the question is because he needs additional pilots to handle pens of different sizes and was wondering if new pilots from a different mfg. would fit the cutter he already has. If I guessed wrong about the reason for the question, then my answer won't be of much help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom