Pen Mandrel part 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevefromnfld

IHi guys,I got my new lathe,a delta midi lath,and I posted a topic before about the madrel I bought not going to fit.I was wondering your advice on mandrels.Which one is best for a delta midi lathe with a #2 morse taper.Or are they all basically the same if they do the job?
Probably a silly question,but I wanted to throw it out to you for hopefully a response.
Oh,,,and,,(another question hidden,,,lol),,,,,,,,I have a set of large chisels,I was going to get a set of mini chisels from canadian tire for $60,,,Is it better to have mini chisels for doing pens and mini turnings???,Another silly question,,,but I am looking for input again.It's no good for me to ask a salesman.lol
I'm going to try making small turnings like key chains and candlestick holders.I sent to Woodchuckers for a book called "Wood Lathe Projects for fun and Profit".,,,by Dick Sing.And as I've never sharpened a lathe chisel,I think I'll start out with the canadian tire ones first,,,there's a possibilty,,,however small,,,,,that I might not be a perfect "sharpener" right away!!lol..So I don't want to learn on the expensive ones.
Anyway,,hope yee all have a great day,,and I'll look around the forum for a while and do some reading.I'm the first one awake here this morning and am enjoying the quiet!!!Thanks,Steve.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C. Scott

Hi Steve and welcome,

I'll give you my two cents. I use the adjustable mandrel (Maxi mandrel I think it's called) from PSI. I haven't had any issues with it. I have learned that I need to make sure the MT on the head stock is clean and that the collet is clean on the mandrel itself. Use just enough pressure on the lock nut on your blanks to hold them and just enough pressure on the mandrel itself from the tailstock to keep it from wobbling. Use light pressure when turning. Lastly, I have gotten to where I turn the upper and lower barrels separately. It just makes for a more concentric/accurate pen.

Hope this helps.

C. Scott [:)]

I know, I haven't posted in awhile. [:I]

tipusnr

Nothing wrong with getting the mini-tools. A lot of us have some - but their not really necessary. Several turners can show you how to turn really small items with regulation sized tools. The old saw is "You can turn small things with large tools but you can't turn large things with small tools." (or something like that)

OSCAR15

Yo Steve: I also use the adjustable mandrel from Penn State....
As for chisels, I use Benjamins Best from Penn State...
There are better chisels to be sure, but none better to be found at this price.... They work fine, but like most, will need a honing before you use them.....

2006328132423_thumbup.gif

Rifleman1776

Mini tools have their place, but many pen turners use larger tools almost exclusively. My main pen tools are a 3/8" spindle gouge, 1" spindle gouge and 1" skew. They ain't 'mini'. Keep in mind, a point is a point and all points are the same size.

alamocdc

Steve, I use the same mandrel and have had no problems with it thus far. I also got a set of "mini" tools (1/8" parting tool, 3/8" gouge and a 1/2" skew) with my starter set, but have barely touched them. I use the parting tool every now and then, and the gouge on some detailed bowl work, but I've never used the skew and am thinking of regrinding it. My 3/4" oval skew is my pen tool of choice. But that's just me.

Randy_

I started off with the smaller tools and just recently purchased a set of full-sized tools. haven't used them a whole lot yet; but i think the mini tools are probably retired except for special circumstances.

stevefromnfld

Thanks alot guys,I really appreciate it.I have to exchange my madrel,and it's sent in the mail now,as I bought a new lathe.I havn't turned anything yet.I only have to wait a few more days now,and am looking forward to getting the mail everyday!!lol..In my time I'm waiting,I'm going to do some reading,and I'm looking around on this site,and find LOTS of great info.I'm really looking forward to learning to use a wood lathe.In the meantime,besides reading,I have a couple of intarsia projects to do_One of them will pay for my lathe when it's done,so that's good luck for me.
I must look up how to sharpen the chisels my brother gave me with his old lathe.I have a good book on wood turning here,it's called:Woodturning,A Foundation Course,by Keith Rowley.In my mind I'ld like to put a piece of wood in the lathe and turn something "Stunning"!!!But I know with everything else I've done,that's not how it goes!!lol
Anyway guys,thanks again for all the help,and I'll talk to you later,,,Steve..

woodbutcher

For what it's worth, I use a 1/2" gouge, a 3/4" rounded skew and an 1/8" parting tool for most of my pen turning. I bought the mini tools and used them for about 15 seconds only to lay them aside. I would not advise the smaller tools. Hope this helps,
Jim

TomServo

steve: the 8 piece set of chisels from harbor freight is a steal; shipping to canada might hurt a little, but it's probably going to be around $60 CDN - for 8 full size tools with plenty of steel on them (some tools are all handle and no steel)

If you live around winnipeg, I could bring them up for you.

stevefromnfld

Thanks Tom,,,I live in Newfoundland though!!lol...If you had a boat!!lol...You or anyone on the forum is welcome for supper,,we're having a BBQ.You just sail east from the mainland,,and when you get to the most easterly point,,,turn left into Conception Bay,,,and stay left,,,watch out for Bell Island,,,etc,,,,and keep to your left...Keep coming untill you see 2 red and white large stacks,,,Nfld Hydro,,,,,,,and before you get to them,,,turn left and come into Long Pond Harbour,,,,I'm only 10 minutes from there..Or ,if you keep on coming up the shore,,,,I'm only a minute from the salt water,,,,,would be glad to dart out the road and pick you guys up!!lol.It's really not that difficult..lol.
Seriously though,,thanks for the offer,,but I'm far away from Winnipeg..I have a large set of chisels,,and yesterday I got a set of mini chisels,,I'm going to try to make a few small turnings today,,,to get the feel of everything..I'm going to hone the little chisels with a diamond sharpener I have ,,,they worked fine last night,,but I think they need to be touched up....Talk to you later guys,,and have a great day!!Steve..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom