Pen made from Color Cast #1 - It's Blue!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings fellow IAP members,

I made a pen from one of the Alumilite blanks I made yesterday -- my first pour! I think it turned out pretty good all things considered. The pen is a squiggly clip Magnetic from Crooked Mill. I'm using these kits up and have already replaced them with the Zen's from Exotic Blanks.

The blank was my #5 blank in the pour. I didn't expect it to have very good color separation because I essentially did a cup dump pour on it. I essentially scraped the two blue colored resins into my white resin cup, did a little swirl, and then poured the mixed up mess into the last blank. All things considered, I think it turned out pretty good and it gets my hopes up for the results from blanks #1 to #4 which should have improved color separation.

Anyhow - here are the pictures. (It's too bad the shimmer "depth" doesn't come through in pictures very well).

Dave

IMG_3811 Cropped.jpg

IMG_3804 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3805 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3806 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3807 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3808 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3809 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob H

Very nice. I think you are going to get a lot of people interested in casting. Thank you for sharing your experience.

RDHals

Looks great, a keeper for sure. I know what you mean about the photos. It took me a while to get pics I'm ok with of cast stuff.

sorcerertd

I'd call that a huge success! I really have to get started on casting soon. I keep saying that, and have a lot of stuff around that I want to make hybrids with. I'm done procrastinating for today. I can always do that tomorrow, right?

woodwzrd

Blue is my favorite color and the coloring this pen is awesome. It appears to be a vertical pour? I much prefer to use vertical molds for solid resin blanks because of the "grain" pattern they yield. Very well done for your fist pour. Enjoy the casting rabbit hole.

jrista

Wow! Those blanks really have a lot of depth!! You did a fine job on them! I'd say your foray into casting is going well. Keep em coming! Looking forward to the white, orange and red now.

Top Bottom