Pen kits for 1/2 inch Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Vermontpens73

Would anyone be willing to share with me what type of pen kit they like that i could use Corian for without glueing them together? I've been using slimline pros with some success, but the mechanism catches a number of times and is not the smoothest. I do like a click pen. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I'd like to see you try the Corian with the new(ish) PSI Everyday Classic, which has a super smooth Schmidt click mechanism.

The finished barrel size should fit nicely in the half-inch Corian ... matching hardware size is about 0.440" diameter, so well within the constraints imposed by your half-inch thick Corian. . You'll have to be careful how you drill it. . I suggest you drill on the lathe after rounding the blank.

Another pen kit which would work is the PSI Duraclick EDC - also has a Schmidt clicker, but a slightly different one ... also super smooth.
This finished barrel size would also fit ... matching hardware is 0.455" diameter. . This kit barrel is a little shorter than the first one so maybe managing the rounding/drilling process would be a little easier.

Check them both out on the PSI website, where the barrel lengths are specified .... should help you choose.

Hope you have some Corian with appropriate color. . Good luck with your project, and be sure to show us the results !!! 🙂

I am going to watch this thread !!

Vermontpens73

Thank you Mal! I actually forgot I had a couple of the Duraclick kits. I still will take your advice and pick up some of the Classics as well. What about any other type of kit that could be used with 1/2 inch Corian? It doesn't have to be a click pen. I'm open to all suggestions from anyone. Thank you again, Mal, and yes I will post a pen when completed.

Dieseldoc

Jeb:
In the past I have made several Corian pens and like Mal said need to insure you have the blank centered before drill as you don't have a lot of material to play with. My most problem came when pressing the pen together and not cracking the blank. So what I did is make sure the nib retainers were finger tight fit, having to hone down and or sanding out the tube, then use epoxy to hold nib or retainers.
The same goes for the cap or transmission assembly. It can be don't just take the time to pre fit the parts before assembly.

Good luck getting it done.

Vermontpens73

Charlie - Thanks for the additional tips. What pen kits did you use? Any of them different from the ones mentioned? Thanks again

Jeb

dwasson

Question.....why don't you want to glue them together? I've done it many times with CA glue. Never had one come apart. You can't see the seam/glue lines. I gave a couple pens to a guy who installs Corian counters that had given me a bunch of pieces. He couldn't find the line either.

Not criticizing, just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Consider some simple segmenting with any of the 7mm kits - these are actually very easy.

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 100

Vermontpens73

Dan - At some point I will try segmenting, as for the present I have been using and liking the slimline pro kit. Was curious as to what other kits I could use without segmenting.

Mark- Thanks for your input as well. I have seen your photo in the past. Very nice! I do like the look of some Corian alone without being segmented

Dieseldoc

Jeb:

Slim line Pro as a 8mm tube, might be to much as finished is 421-425. that doesn't leave to much meat. That is why I suggested slim line.

However I sure you will work it out, just start some and refine as you go along.

Cheers

Charlie

dwasson

15bf7bf61c01b0006ba8b5ceeeb2a157.jpg

This is a European pen and pencil set that I did by gluing 2 pieces together. It gave me a 1" thick blank to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom