Pen kit sources?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi everyone, I was wondering where most of you get your pen kits. It seems that Penn State is the source for other vendors, but I'm curious because I've seen other names mentioned. I'm not concerned about blanks, because they are all over the place.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Turners Warehouse is one of the best. They resell PSI kits but also kits from others as well such as Beaufort Ink (UK) and Dayacom (Taiwan). Woodturningz has it own line of kits as well. Exotic Blanks resells PSI and has a few from other manufacturers. Berea Hardwoods sell their own lines (they are the company that brought the Sierra to the pen makers scene). Craft Supplies USA is another good source.

TonyL

We are lucky to have many excellent vendors, and I patronize practically all. However, if I want to order kits from several manufacturers at a fair price and get almost all from the same place and paying shipping once, I consult Exotic Blanks first. Again, many excellent suppliers here.

If it's a PSI kit then I usually buy directly through PSI. If you have any issues i.e. plating issues, missing parts, PSI's customer service is great.
Can't say I've had that experience with some other vendors on this forum. Plus if you shop the PSI sales, and have a discount code you can really save some dollars. For non PSI kits I usually go through CSUSA, Woodturningz or Arizona Silhouettes. But there are others out there, I just prefer good customer service.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I won't write an ad, but I will correct a fact: ExoticBlanks is an authorized reseller for Penn State, Dayacom, Berea, SPW and our own brand. We also resell some of CSUSA's products. We offer over 1000 pen kit skus. So we currently have a very complete selection. I don't know of any source who offers more, nor anyone who combines nearly all of them for quantity discounts.

jttheclockman

Charles, as you can see we as members here use various vendors and many times these vendors either came through this site as members or developed their own business because of this site. You would not believe how many spin-offs from this very site that businesses have started up. Will not even start mentioning them because someone will be left out. It is the membership here that has made many of these vendors what they are today along with the popularity of the hobby. What I suggest is look around and type in pen kits and you will find many. We all may have favorites but they may not become your favorite for one reason or another. What I try to do is limit the kits I tend to make because there are soooooooooooooooo many clones with different names and maybe a little different detail or bling. Try to keep platings in mind when choosing kits and if you are into gimmicky pens than PSI is the only seller of those with a few exception through woodcraft. Look for best prices and watch for sales. You can look at bulk pricing too. Many vendors will discount bulk prices. Try to support as many of the vendors as you can. If you come across bad representation and can not solve it through email or just poor communication than move on and use as a learning experience. As mentioned many vendors sell various makers and duplicates. If you are serious about this hobby you will form your own network of vendors for all products related to pen turning and I mean all products not just kits and blanks. You will see how fast your list grows. Especially if you branch out and do more than kits. Good luck. By the way I have no favorites and spread my money around and keep it that way.

Just as an example of vendors, take a quick look in the Resource section here under bushing and tubes charts and it will knock your socks off. .

Top Bottom