Pen Kit Reviews

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Patsfan, I think you are a bit out of line about the Guild. I am not a Guild member, would like to be, but don't know if I will ever make it. But I do know that the members share their knowledge freely and are there to help anyone they can...
I recently emailed Richard Kleinhenz asking him to critique some work I was considering for Guild membership and to express my concerns about some of the requirements to become a Guild member.. Requirements that I did not think I could fulfill.
He took the time to give me a lot of information and support and told me that there may be changes in the works that would make it easier for someone who produces high class pens to be accepted into the Guild. The operative words there are "HIGH CLASS", and I take that to mean someone who has taken the time to really work at their craft and produce a pen that is well above the average hobbiest. This is something I think most of us are trying to accomplish. It is a long road and not without curves and detours. But with people like Richard there to help lead the way, we will eventually get there if we want to.
The Guild gives some of us something to reach for, a plateau of excellance. I see nothing wrong with that..
Personally, I have learned a lot from Guild members and I am proud to say some are online friends.
You have only been around here for less than a month... take some time to read a lot of the past posts and see how helpful the Guild members have been....
I will now get off my high horse, put away my 2 cents and go back to figuring out what it is I am supposed to be doing before SWMBO comes home and beats me about the head and shoulders.. LOL

BogBean

I don't understand all the concern about a 50 member Yahoo Group. I read somewhere that the IAP is over 900 members. I like the IAP very much and have learned a lot here plus I save money with our buying power. The Birthday Bash last week was great. I have never heard of an internet group doing this before and I want to thank everyone who made the Bash possible.
As far as Guild goes, if your goal is to be a member I would not worry about it, your day will come. Myself, I am going to work to make the IAP the group to belong to. Here's to another great year for the IAP....Chuck

Scott

Originally posted by BogBean
<br />Myself, I am going to work to make the IAP the group to belong to. Here's to another great year for the IAP....Chuck

Thanks Chuck! This is what I like to hear! I think that Penturners.org is a great place! But we're not here in protest of the YAHOO groups - most members here are also members there! I've been a member of YAHOO Penturners for years. We support the YAHOO groups with our superior search feature for their forums! One of the founders of the IAP is a Pen Makers Guild member! And as for the Bash - well, I got the idea from the PMG! [:I] We're all interlinked. Which is a good thing! There are lots of great penturners out there, and I hope they come to the IAP, but if they don't, I'll go to them to learn!

Scott.

Gregory Huey

I belong to both groups,I think their is a ton of info to be gained from both groups. They seem to complament each other. To say that the members of the guild are a bit snobish is not a fair statement to its members. Richard works non stop to help everyone in the group. Pat is another one that is always their to help as well as many other members.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by patsfan
<br />I tried to learn from their site as well. What I learned was that they all climbed up into the treehouse and pulled up the ladder.

Hope they are happy with each other..

There's a tree house? Nobody told me about it. I always get left out of the fun stuff. [:(]

That is an interesting analogy. I wonder how long the tree would be there.

As others have stated, the ladder is there. I think they may have installed an elevator recently to accomadate the more seasoned members. [:)]

I am a PMG member, although I know I am not an expert at every aspect of penturning. I did manage to make a pen that was approved by the elders. I still have a lot to learn from the other members. I also learn from those that are not PMG members. It's all good.

Gary

There was a nice article in a past issue of American Woodturner titled "Create a Classic Fountain Pen." It was written by Emory McLaughlin, a member of the Pen Makers Guild.

I sent an email to the author with a couple of questions. He didn't know me from Adam. But shortly thereqafter he replied to my email. He not only answered my questions, but proceeded to write a long detailed message. He explained how the article was over a year old and, what he had learned in that time frame to improve on what he had written. He gladly shared his knowledge and expertise with me, just trying to help another newbee pen turner.

So, when I hear someone complaining about the snobish members of PMG...well, that sure hasn't been my experience. I found this one, Emory McLaughlin, more than willing to share, just like the PMG members that post on this forum.

Tom McMillan

Hey Tim---

I think someone cut down the tree before I was admitted to PMG---So many trees---so little time. (OK Tim where's the wood from the treehouse---I really think you should share!!---and don't tell me you used it in the "ugly pen" contest.)

I too would say that I've found penturning to be a never-ending process----there's always something new to learn from someone else---and a great deal has been shared here at the IAP and at Yahoo penturner's that I marvel at. Learning will continue to be a life-long process for me as I look at and learn from others examples and ideas, and hopefully from time to time I can share some of my own.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br /> (OK Tim where's the wood from the treehouse---I really think you should share!!---and don't tell me you used it in the "ugly pen" contest.)

I am trying to forget about the contest. I sometimes wake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. I dream that all of my wood blanks have turned into carcicle blanks. [xx(]

pnctar

Somewhere along the line I missed this conversation but, has a "newbie" myself to penturning, the information I glean from this site, the penturners group, and the PMG have been inspirational. I visit the PMG and the photo albums here on a regular basis for ideas. I'v have already started turning my own centerbands, laminations and inlays, feel I'm at an advanced stage with the art of BLO/CA finishes and don't feel that I'm left out at all (probably need to participate a little more though [;)]). Lots of screwups but, what a fun way to spend a day. I look forward to submitting my pens for "skill regonition" here and hopefully, someday, to the PMG.

AND ... thank you! to all who post and participate. I feel that I can step forward without a blindfold on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom