Pen Kit for Firearm Enthusiast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JonathanF1968

A buddy of mine is a serious firearms enthusiast, and I'd like to make him a pen. He's a firearm safety instructor (actually, now head of a big firearm safety instructional program) by trade. He collects Lugers, Glocks, and also likes shotguns. I'd say, he mostly leans towards military style pieces, and has had a fair amount of combat training. He shoots competitively, rather than hunts. I know that his interest in specific pieces has to do with the engineering elegance, mostly.

So, what pen kit do you think he'd might appreciate? Left to my own devices, I'd go for a PSI Magnum Bolt Action in antique brass. But I don't know if this would come across as more kitsch than gun nerdy, or if there's a higher quality option out there.

Magnum Bolt Action Antique Brass Pen Kit - WoodTurningz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

These revolver click pens from PSI turned out very nice. A little unique and I get a lot of positive feedback from gun enthusiasts. IMG_0955.jpg

magpens

Yes ! . Go for the real cartridge !

Other than that, my second choice would be the 30 Caliber Bolt Action. . The Magnum might also be ok but it's not as sleek.

Yes, indeed, there are other firearm-themed pen kits but they are all pretty crummy in one way or another. . I have tried all of them and would not recommend.

gtriever

Bolt Action, Antique Brass or Antique Pewter, depending on the blank. With apologies to those who like them, IMO the AR-15, Revolver, Lever Action, etc. are too gimmicky. Dress it up with the Bald Eagle Insignia model, and you can dress it up some more by pairing it with an Antique Brass (or Pewter) Pencil kit, subbing out the standard clip for the Patriotic Pen Clip.

RangeRat

Not a kit per se, but one of these can be made fairly easily with slimline components.

Attachments

• A72D51A6-DC51-4A9E-B916-7964F3E515E4.jpg
    A72D51A6-DC51-4A9E-B916-7964F3E515E4.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 176

RangeRat

I like your idea there, Oltman. I have a few 300 Winmag casings I've been saving to try and figure out how to make into pens. I will give your method a shot.

WriteON

A buddy of mine is a serious firearms enthusiast, and I'd like to make him a pen. He's a firearm safety instructor (actually, now head of a big firearm safety instructional program) by trade. He collects Lugers, Glocks, and also likes shotguns. I'd say, he mostly leans towards military style pieces, and has had a fair amount of combat training. He shoots competitively, rather than hunts. I know that his interest in specific pieces has to do with the engineering elegance, mostly.

So, what pen kit do you think he'd might appreciate? Left to my own devices, I'd go for a PSI Magnum Bolt Action in antique brass. But I don't know if this would come across as more kitsch than gun nerdy, or if there's a higher quality option out there.

Magnum Bolt Action Antique Brass Pen Kit - WoodTurningz

Magnum is a great choice however not substantially nicer than the standard 3/8 tube bolt action. The standard bolt kits are as good as it gets.

1shootist

Forgot to add quote....this is referring to the pic of pens on first page at the bottom....Great looking...all of them !

I really like the 4th and 5th from top down. The 4th is the civil war pen I think..I'll look over on psi to find the 5th...and try both out.

Thanks for the ideal my friend !

1shootist

Last edited:
Top Bottom