Pen Kit Archive/Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

After seeing the IAP collection in person for the first time at the MPG in April, which by the way is quite impressive, I got to thinking. I know over the years that kits have come and gone, remembered by many yet never to be known by even more yet to come. Time proves one cannot truly appreciate what you have today without an understanding of the past. There are also milestone creations that have impacted pen turning along the way, like stabilizing and resin casting of all kinds, innovative tools, and techniques. Then, we cannot forget the amazing craftsman and innovators who helped build an everlasting foundation for this craft like Dick Sing, Ed Brown, Don Ward, Jeff Brown, Eagle, and many, many others. In my thinking, and a newly ignited flame of passion, I am going to start doing this; collecting kits (and bushings for them), especially those no longer in production up to and including what's new today for they will be tomorrow's past. This is something I want to be able to take to pen turning gatherings and symposiums around the country. A traveling history so to speak. What I need more than anything right now is help in making a list of these pen kits, and then, yes, help in finding them so I can acquire them. I know that there are members here at the IAP that have been around this craft for a long time, even before IAP existed, and it is with my most sincere hopes that these members will speak up, name names, and point fingers!! Ed, rest assured my friend, I will be jarring your memory, a lot!

Footnote: I am not doing this with any intention of competing with the IAP Collection nor the IAP Library, as both are an uncomparable wealth of artistry, craftsmanship, and information. On the contrary, it is my hopes, that one day, it will rise to such a level that it stands besides them. Then, when my time with it begins to draw to an end, someone with the same passion is there to pick up the reigns and make it even greater, as has been done with the MPG.

Footnote #2: I realize I could be crazier than the proverbial loon, so don't be afraid to tell me so!!! A cyber-smack upside the head to get me thinking straight again, of sorts. Like it will help!!! Waaahahahahaha!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Just curious. Are these kits going to be unassembled or made into a pen for the display? Or both if you can find 2 kits?

It occurred to me there are many versions of the same kit by manufactures. Going to do all of them by manufacturers.

And the different plating options? :eek:

As much as I hate maligning the bird on our dollar, you are crazier than the proverbial loon. o_O

Pete

cozee

I do love a challenge!! Right now I am wanting just the kit and it's variations. If I can get 2 kits, sooner or later, one of them would become a completed pen.

jttheclockman

Now I am not going to call you crazy but very ambitious. Have you taken a look in the library at the hundreds of kits listed???? Then there are versions of versions of kits from different vendors. PSI adds kits like it is an everyday thing. I do not see the value in this. There is just a few basic styles or if you want to say kits out there. But from there the platings change as well as the jewelry added to them but a rollerball is still a rollerball. As I mentioned PSI they are big into themed kits but break it down it still a ball point pen.

If you want to archieve the history of the pen then go back to dip pens and things of yesteryear and bring into the kit revolution and also include the kitless revolution. Take a fountain pen and show the different ways to fill ink. But to make every kit to make a scene in this hobby is a little daunting to say the least. Good luck with your plan. :)

Last edited:

cozee

For me, if it isn't a challenge then it isn't worth doing. At one time I collected, and still do to a far, far lesser degree, slot cars. Had over 3000 of them at one time. Price wasn't near a driving force as was the hunt and acquisition of each one. Sold them all off and just recently started over by picking up some of the ones I remember as a kid. Then there is my tool collecting addiction. Besides modern automotive and related hand tools, I like "old arn" as it is known. Woodworking equipment that was made pre-70s (and weighs a ton), specifically Craftsman. My oldest piece that I am very proud of, though not Craftsman, is a '20s era "C" frame band saw made by the Patterson Tool Company of Ohio, which I use. A lot of my "arn" is awaiting renovation but I also use some regularly in my shop. I am beginning to thin out that collection and pass it on to my three sons and concentrating on Craftsman's pedestal mounted equipment. Again, it's all about the hunt and acquisition. I also collect thimbles, reminiscent of my years being raised by my Grandparents. And Marine Corps/Military Challenge coins, Harley Davidson Poker Chips, Bibles (75 years old and older), and in honor of my best friend of over 50 years who passed Sep. 2017, VW diecasts. Yeah, my collections are a bit different in many ways, but then, so am I!!

Curly

Hey Cozee there are some older Churchill kits for sale to get started with in case you haven't seen them yet.

cozee

Hey Cozee there are some older Churchill kits for sale to get started with in case you haven't seen them yet.

Thanks Curly!

Top Bottom