pen glueing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Drill the blanks and insert the tube before gluing. The 2 pcs. Should be just a hair longer than the finished blank length. Be certain to plug the tubes with whatever.

Now you can use clamps to put some pressure on the glue-up, and there is no danger of the blank parting when you drill it. (the reason is obvious!)

Sylvanite

If the blanks are truly acrylic (not some other plastic), then a methyl-chloride based glue such as Weld-On 4 will work best. The fumes, however, are hazardous, so be sure to have good ventilation.

Regards,
Eric

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If the blanks are truly acrylic (not some other plastic), then a methyl-chloride based glue such as Weld-On 4 will work best. The fumes, however, are hazardous, so be sure to have good ventilation.

Regards,
Eric
How does one tell what kind of plastic the pen blank is cast from?

I consider all plastics to be acrylic. Wrong I know, but a customer doesn't really care to know the difference. They just nod their head knowingly when I tell them "It's acrylic".

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Can anyone tell me what glue to use to glue acrylic pen blanks end to end!!!

Again another broad question. It helps alot when someone tells us or better yet shows us what they are trying to do. If you are looking to just glue pen blanks end to end and expect them to be as strong you are mistaken and that is unless you can fuse them together. No glue will have the tensile strength to withstand them snapping.

If you are segmenting a pen then just treat each blank by itself and do a pen tube build. That is drill each blank with appropriate bit and add them to the tube and use whatever glue you use to glue the tube in. I use epoxy. Now you have the strength of the tube to support that weak joint also.

You need to explain what you are attempting to be better helped. Good luck

Top Bottom