Pen Finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

Experimented with this procedure to finish wood pen barrels. After turning to size with a skew and sanding with 400 grit I used one coat with thin CA (all coats only thin CA)followed by applying a drop of BLO and few drops of thin CA on a paper towel at slow speed and finished at high speed and pressure. Then applied 8 coats alternating with BLO + CA and CA only. No micro mesh. Result a goodmooth shine. Finally One Step plastic polish gave a excellent glass like finish.
I am not sure if the finish will last. Please share experience. Thanks
Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

Jon,
I'm sure some turners rolled their eyes over your question but I think it was a good question. Many years ago someone was describing their finishing technique. The turner said one of their last steps was to apply DNA to the blank. For a long time I thought they meant spit. For those who don't know DNA is denatured alcohol.

Seven

jttheclockman

Experimented with this procedure to finish wood pen barrels. After turning to size with a skew and sanding with 400 grit I used one coat with thin CA (all coats only thin CA)followed by applying a drop of BLO and few drops of thin CA on a paper towel at slow speed and finished at high speed and pressure. Then applied 8 coats alternating with BLO + CA and CA only. No micro mesh. Result a goodmooth shine. Finally One Step plastic polish gave a excellent glass like finish.
I am not sure if the finish will last. Please share experience. Thanks
Stephen
Nothing wrong with your method at all. Just add it to the long list of how people finish their pens. If it works for you stick with it. As for durability it is as durable as if you did not use the BLO. So they should stand the test of time. Many people here use BLO with the addition of CA to make it flow better and to have it kick faster. Good luck and show us some examples of your work.

Jon Nutting

Jon,
I'm sure some turners rolled their eyes over your question but I think it was a good question. Many years ago someone was describing their finishing technique. The turner said one of their last steps was to apply DNA to the blank. For a long time I thought they meant spit. For those who don't know DNA is denatured alcohol.

Seven
Appreciate that. Sometimes acronyms are tough especially with so many out there.

Top Bottom