Pen Doctoring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

A coworker got into turning last year during the pandemic. He made several pens. Two of them were the Orion kits from Woodturningz. The caps would not screw onto the pens. Here are the instructions for that kit: https://www.woodturningz.com/downloads/orionpeninstructions.pdf

The center band is a decorative piece with a plastic insert that screws onto the nib. The fountain pen and rollerball nibs are interchangeable. Anyway, he gave me those to pens to see if I can fix them. One of them the plastic insert it appears has come off the decorative trim ring on the center band. I can see it sliding around in the cap. The other it looks like the same thing except the insert is glued into the tube or something, it doesn't move. For the first one Im pretty sure I can punch the pieces out, fix it and reassemble. the other one assuming I punch the top cap off, will a reamer get rid of the plastic insert? My other thought was something small and sharp to try to collapse that part into the tube. Overall the pens look good and I'd like to try to save them if possible.

Top Bottom