Pen display

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodnknots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Here is a pen display I built yesterday out of Black Walnut. The second picture is the display filled with some inventory for a craft show coming up next week. The display holds 15 pens and 4 bottle stoppers, and whatever else I can fit into the open space...
Critiques welcomed, and encouraged!

200542413484_lone%20display.jpg

2005424134817_full%20display.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlh

Great looking display! Good idea for a combo unit where you do not have a lot of room to have seperate displays for pens, stoppers, letter openers, etc. Nice job![:)]

Fleabit

Very nicely done! Black Walnut is a great piece of wood. I echo the above on whether the pen tips are resting in a groove or notch? If not, it would help to keep them from falling when customers are poking and moving pens.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by swm6500
<br />Dave, do the pens just rest on a flat surface, or is there a groove or lip they rest against? I cannot tell for sure so I was just curious.
There is a very light channel I routed about 1/2" wide by about 1/16" deep.
Thanks for looking!

opfoto

I agree the black walnut is a nice wood. Your stand also compliments the pens beautifully, not distracting at all. Very nicely done.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by WoodChucker
<br />Nice choice of wood and you did a beautiful job on it! What type of finish did you use?
The finish is a wipe on poly. I am a big fan of hand-rubbed finishes, and the wipe on poly delivers that look, with poly protection. It doesn't accent the grain quite as much as a tung oil finish, but with walnut, you don't always need the extra help. This wood was dark enough to provide everything I needed. BTW, about half of the walnut in this display came from Doghouse. He's got some nice stuff, if you are ever in the area.

Woodnknots

If anyone wants basic measurements or procedures for this design, I'd be happy to oblige. I didn't template anything, it just came off-the-cuff, so to say, but I can at least provide basic dimensions.

Doghouse

Dave, that is beautiful! Nice job!

Is that some of the Walnut you picked up from me? I have not had time to make anything from it, and did not realize the color was that rich!

Woodnknots

Originally posted by driften
<br />Very nice! You did a great job! Did you draw up plans for sharing with the less smart flat woodworkers? [;)]
To be honest, all of it was done from the hip, so I didn't draw up plans. I can give measurements, however, if that helps. I'll look at it tonight and try to retrace my thought process and post a note tomorrow, if anyone wants to email me for the plans.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Dave, that is beautiful! Nice job!

Is that some of the Walnut you picked up from me? I have not had time to make anything from it, and did not realize the color was that rich!
Yes, the bottom piece is from your stock. The rest of it is some more scraps (I know, no such thing) from other projects that just hadn't found their purpose in life yet.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Well Done!

Looks like you used a dovetail template?

No templates for me... I ripped a board wider than what I needed, then measured and drilled with a 3/4" forstner bit. After that I ripped the board to width, taking about half of the 3/4" hole with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom