Pen Disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussBerg

I bought the Penn State pen assembler/disassembler to try to salvage a couple of Majestic Jr. pen kits where the blanks cracked during assembly. It worked well with all parts but the center band assembly. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can salvage the center band? The rest is of little use without it. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Is it the plastic section you're trying to get out? Find a punch that will pass trough, screw in a coupler section from the body section and press against that. Essentially you're using coupler to pull on center band section. Pressing on the plastic will compress length wise and expand in tube making it harder to extract.

KenB259

On some of those, where I don't care about the blank, I just carefully sand through the side until it'll break out. I use a 1 inch belt sander.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

greenacres2

I've not been successful at removing the plastic, but Exotic Blanks may have replacements. I know that Ed had them for the Caballero--don't know if he stocks PSI spares. Of course, a call to PSI might get you a few.
earl

Kenny Durrant

I'm not sure either exactly what your referring to. If it's the cap I use a punch that will pass through the bottom and the plastic threads. Once the cap and clip are removed I'll take a punch that will barely fit in the tube and press out the plastic threads and band. I've done several with the press and I haven't lost one yet. If you use a hammer and a punch it will destroy the plastic piece.

RussBerg

Is it the plastic section you're trying to get out? Find a punch that will pass trough, screw in a coupler section from the body section and press against that. Essentially you're using coupler to pull on center band section. Pressing on the plastic will compress length wise and expand in tube making it harder to extract.
I never thought of this. I will give it a try. Thanks.

RussBerg

I'm not sure either exactly what your referring to. If it's the cap I use a punch that will pass through the bottom and the plastic threads. Once the cap and clip are removed I'll take a punch that will barely fit in the tube and press out the plastic threads and band. I've done several with the press and I haven't lost one yet. If you use a hammer and a punch it will destroy the plastic piece.
It is the center ring assembly. I had no trouble with the rest.

Kenny Durrant

Then what I mentioned above should work. I use the same punch I used with a hammer as I do the press. The press does an excellent job without any issues.

magpens

@RussBerg

The method described by Mr Vic above is the approach to disassembly that I would recommend.

Thread the nib coupler piece from the main (lower) barrel into the "lower" open end of the cap, engaging the plastic threaded section in the cap.
Get a punch of the right size and insert through the "upper" open end of the cap, pressing ONLY against the nib coupler piece.
Exert force with the punch, or, if you have to, tap punch with a hammer .... starting with light taps, & increase the hammer impact only as necessary.

KenB259's method .. also described above .. is an approach I would not use unless the punch method, using nib coupler piece, as per Mr Vic, fails.
My reason for saying this is that it is difficult to judge and control the depth of sanding (for me), so you could damage the plastic part that you are trying to recover, and also because the sanding destroys the upper barrel.

No disassembly method is guaranteed to work. . Good luck !! . Let us know how things work out for you.

Last edited:

RussBerg

Unfortunately it didn't work. I think I will try heating with a hair dryer and try again.

KenB259

@RussBerg

The method described by Mr Vic above is the approach to disassembly that I would recommend.

Thread the nib coupler piece from the main (lower) barrel into the "lower" open end of the cap, engaging the plastic threaded section in the cap.
Get a punch of the right size and insert through the "upper" open end of the cap, pressing ONLY against the nib coupler piece.
Exert force with the punch, or, if you have to, tap punch with a hammer .... starting with light taps, & increase the hammer impact only as necessary.

KenB259's method .. also described above .. is an approach I would not use unless the punch method, using nib coupler piece, as per Mr Vic, fails.
My reason for saying this is that it is difficult to judge and control the depth of sanding (for me), so you could damage the plastic part that you are trying to recover, and also because the sanding destroys the upper barrel.

No disassembly method is guaranteed to work. . Good luck !! . Let us know how things work out for you.
I agree, it's a last ditch effort for me.

Top Bottom