Pen contest planning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Any ideas on changes in the Pen contests ? So far we have at least three Basic contests , The Beautiful Pen , The Beginners pen and a Modified pen . I was thinking about maybe making one of those a themed contest like a Valentine's Day Theme or an International Theme or ???
I caught some flack last year by requiring that the Modified pen contest include some parts from an actual cigar pen kit . I had made this requirement to avoid the Modified contest turning into a Freestyle contest after a few members protested the Freestyle due the the donation of the winning pen . Should I keep the requirements of actual kit parts ? I would like to keep this as it was so that everyone can stand a chance to win and not be over shadowed by someone who has the ability to make a totally custom cigar pen .
Also should this contest stand as is or be changed to some kind of Memorial Challenge for Russ Fairfield . I think that there is room for a separate contest for the Memorial contest but would adding another pen contest make the calendar too busy ? Any input ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

These are the rules so far for the three pen contests . None of these are set in stone so are there any changes you think that could make these contests better ?
We still need to consider how to handle the Memorial contest .

The rules for The Beginners and The Beautiful pen contests will be ;

1 - It must be a Ballpoint kit pen . No cap style or kitless pens will be accepted .
2 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2011 .
3 - Only one pen per person , so make it your best work . Take the best pictures you can because the quality of your pen will be based on what we can see . Keep your backgrounds and props simple so they do not distract the eye from your pen .
4 - Winners will be chosen based on the Fit and Finish of your pen . A panel of judges will choose the top 5 pens in each contest and the final 3 in each contest will be chosen by an open poll .

Rules for the Modified Cigar pen contest are ;

1 - Must use a Cigar kit Nib/Nosecone , cigar transmission and cigar clip .
2 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2011 .
3 - Winners will be chosen by Fit , Finish and the type and amount of the modification , so take the best pictures you can since this is all we will have to judge the quality of the fit and finish . A panel of judges will choose the top 5 pens in each contest and the final 3 will be chosen by an open poll .
4 - Prizes will be awarded for first , second and third places .

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Any ideas on changes in the Pen contests ? So far we have at least three Basic contests , The Beautiful Pen , The Beginners pen and a Modified pen . I was thinking about maybe making one of those a themed contest like a Valentine's Day Theme or an International Theme or ???
I caught some flack last year by requiring that the Modified pen contest include some parts from an actual cigar pen kit . I had made this requirement to avoid the Modified contest turning into a Freestyle contest after a few members protested the Freestyle due the the donation of the winning pen . Should I keep the requirements of actual kit parts ? I would like to keep this as it was so that everyone can stand a chance to win and not be over shadowed by someone who has the ability to make a totally custom cigar pen .
Also should this contest stand as is or be changed to some kind of Memorial Challenge for Russ Fairfield . I think that there is room for a separate contest for the Memorial contest but would adding another pen contest make the calendar too busy ? Any input ???
Yes, for the reasons you say.:wink:

ldb2000

I have the rules for the three main contests posted in this thread but I still need to know if the Russ challenge is replacing the Modified cigar pen contest . I think there is room for both since there are some who don't make slimlines and some who have never made a cigar . If you think that 4 pen contests (5 if you include the ugly pen contest) are too many PLEASE let me know ASAP so I can adjust the schedule and get the rules posted on time or as soon as possible .

Top Bottom