Pen Components (kits)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phixius

Getting ready for my first show ever in April...

I'm going to have a fair amount of thin line pens... my question..

A: Which component set (kits) have you had the most luck selling with regularity and a descent price margin?

B:To go with question A: where did you order said kit from.

Any suggestions are more than welcome. This show is geared toward the all natural material (wood)
Have thought about turning a few wine stoppers given the vendor list I saw was a fair amount of wine makers. Ideas for grabbing people's attention to stop shop and buy...

Many thanks blow this question up I need a multitude of ideas to choose from lol...

thanks in advance... your humble show amateur

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I dont sell at shows but from what I've heard and read is that, it depends.
The clientele at each show will change depending on the theme of the show.
If the show is based in an auditorium that is normally used for gun shows then the bullet pens and natural wood might sell best
If the show is based on wine makers then higher end natural wood pens and bottle accessories might sell best.
If the show is all encompassing craft show then the clientele might change again. From what I've heard from my brother and sister-in-law and others that sell wares at "craft" shows it's tough as the clientele generally want everything for nothing.

Good luck with your first show.
I hope all goes well for you.

TonyL

I am casual, word-of-mouth seller (I am more of a "gifter"). When I do sell pens a make a lot more profit when I sell double barrel pens like higher-end Jr Gents.
However, I probably make the most money on the sale of Cigar pens - but I sell the fewest number of those. And remember double barrel pens are close to twice the work.

I prefer quick kits, like selling, Executives, Professors, Patriots, Aeros etc. I get $45 to $65 and they probably take me an hour to make (including finishing).

I wouldn't go by me though - I am not a heavy seller.

I buy primarily from these sources in this order:
  • Exotic Blanks
  • PSI (only when there is a sale 20% off) Unless I get an urgent customer request.
  • Craft Supply - when shipping is free
  • Turners Warehouse

The above doesn't mean that the other vendor are "less good" - we have awesome vendors. It is just what I am used to buying. Exotics has the benefit of carrying many manufacturers kits and blanks - so I pay shipping once. I also find his prices to be at a discount to PSI and Craft Supply.
Lastly, in over 5 years, I have never been "skunked".

Argo13

I did about a dozen craft shows last year. I carry a very wide range of pens. My best sellers are pop culture pens that I cast myself (stamps, bottle caps, etc..) , gun themed pens, and Bethlehem Olive Wood. I do sell a fair amount of wood pens. If you want to keep the cost down stick to the single barrel pens (my favorites are Sierra style-many brands out there, and PSI executives) Cigars would be a good compliment to your slims as well. ($40-60) Have a few higher line pens, the Jr series, like the jr gentleman II, jr George etc... ($60-$100)

I am like Tony as far as suppliers go. Exotics has about everything I need. They combine the number a kits ordered across all pen kit order to give you a qty discount.

Wine stoppers sound good. I also carry smaller items like key chains and seam rippers but like all have said that will depend on your clientele.

Almost forgot, it doesn't matter how many pens you make. The one somebody want is not on your table. Doing special orders will help your sales.(about 15-20% of my sales were special orders)

Good luck

Woodchipper

Yes to special orders. Pass out cards when selling an item. Get a batch of 1K and just pass them out. Never know what will turn up (no pun intended) in the future. Good advertisement and a card just costs a few cents.
I sold restaurant equipment and supplies. There was always something that I didn't have in stock.

ramaroodle

• Exotic Blanks
  • PSI (only when there is a sale 20% off) Unless I get an urgent customer request.
  • Craft Supply - when shipping is free
  • Turners Warehouse

The above doesn't mean that the other vendor are "less good" - we have awesome vendors. It is just what I am used to buying. Exotics has the benefit of carrying many manufacturers kits and blanks - so I pay shipping once. I also find his prices to be at a discount to PSI and Craft Supply.
Lastly, in over 5 years, I have never been "skunked".

Gotta add Tim and Tracey at WoodnWhimsies. Great customer service and Tracey makes their own inlay kits which are second to none. Most come already assembled ready for CA with a tube and a rubber band around the blank. If you've ever done inlay kits you know how easy it is to screw it up.

Top Bottom