Pen Collecting Anyone???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

When I first started getting into this hobby I said to myself that I should make a display rack of some sort to collect some desirable pens weather they were mine or what. I never finished that display case as it sits in the basement with so many other unfinished projects. I am sure none of you have any of those laying around.:rolleyes:

Anyway my question is: are there any serious pen collectors here on this pen turning site??? I say the word collector in the true sense of the word's meaning as opposed to us all that have a ton of pens that we have not sold and are collecting dust. Again I am sure none of you have any of them right???:rolleyes:

If you do have a collection going on maybe you can share a few photos and give us a brief history or interesting story or two. Maybe how it all started or maybe a particular pen that you picked up or made. Look forward to reading some. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

John
I was once a collector of vintage pens. I had amassed a lot pens. I sold my collection in 2001 when my job was outsourced. The pens in my collection were mainly Parkers and Shaffers. In 2002 I wanted pens again so I began the process of pen making. Joined this site in 2003 when there was just a few dozen or so of us here.

Alan

Scott

I had a thing for Italian celluloid pens by Oma's and Stipula. Still have most of them, but am thinking of parting with them.

Scott.

plantman

John; I have between 500 and 600 pens in my collection. Most of them I have made myself. I'm one of those people that has to have one of everthing that's out there. Every time I see a new kit, I have to make it. Everytime someone shows a new method of pen making, I have to try it. Every few months I will spread the collection out on a couple work benches and rearrange them in their cases, I also look to see if I am making progressing in my craftsmanship and design. I get a great satisfaction out of knowing that at age 70 I can still make something that I am proud of and can bring a smile to someone's face. I also enjoy this site and being able to share any knowledge I have gained in all those years with those who are just starting out, and those who have much more knowledge than I have, and are willing to share it like yourself. Jim S

Last edited:

JohnGreco

I've loved pens since high school and was able to get a few Mont Blanc and Waterman pens along the way, but was never able to build up my collection as much as I would have liked. I was actually hesitant to get into pen making, I found it hard to believe a handcrafted pen could be as good as those in my little collection. Of course I was wrong, now I'm adding pens I've made to that collection :)

Brooks803

I have a small collection pens. None of them are show stoppers, but I really enjoy them. Had a few pics already in photobucket so here's something to look at:

Don't know much about this one:

Sheaffer Touchdown:

Pilot Vanishing Point:

Parker Vacumatic (I think it's 1945):

Parker Vacumatic 1934:

Tom T

Nice vintage pens. They look very cool.

Mr. Plantman do you happen to have any photos of your collection we could see. 600 pens is a lot of pens.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I collect pens mostly made by my fellow members here - I have nearly 100 at the moment including two that I will be posting pictures of soon. I think that I made 2 of them possibly 3 and my son-in-law gave me a snake skin one that might have been made by a member but I don't know that for sure.

I have some pretty good looking pens in the collection. I also have 7 bottle stoppers and one letter opener made by members. I'm starting to get a little tight for space.

panamag8or

My grandfather owned an office supply store for 50 years, and repaired Sheaffers when he started. When he passed (2004), I found dozens of pens, all still in boxes. Parkers, Sheaffers, Cross and many other types. I made the mistake of selling all the Parker 75's, but have a nice (small) collection of vintage pens. I have 2 old Parker and one Sheaffer display trays that I have them in. There is still one Parker 75 that resides with my parents... the R.M.S. Queen Elizabeth, still in original packaging.

There was also a cabinet full of old Sheaffer parts. I sold most of them to Richard Binder, and he built me a Statesman from scratch. The newest pen in my collection is the first one I made... it gets a place of honor with the vintage pens.

My daily carry for a while was a Parker T-1 ballpoint/pencil convertible. I put the clip tag back on it, and it sits in the collection, now.

I also have hundreds of old clip tags, box tags, stacks of old instructions and COA's.

plantman

Nice vintage pens. They look very cool.

Mr. Plantman do you happen to have any photos of your collection we could see. 600 pens is a lot of pens.

Tom; Look up my threads " Pen Display " 3-19-2013 and " How to Display Your Pens " 3-17-2013. There are photos of my display table at our woodworking show last month. I had over 350 of my pens displayed there. Jim S

Top Bottom