Pen Box Hinges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eharri446

I am going to be making a purchase of the small dowel type hinges which are used to make pen boxes in the near future.

I have to buy a minimum of 1,500 hinges at .052 cents per piece which comes out to $78.00 before shipping.

That means that I could make 750 pen boxes since each box uses 2 hinges.

Would anyone be interested in some of these hinges when I get them in?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kelley Crafts

Put me down for a couple hundred please. Just bought some blanks from clayton too...you guys rock around here.

eharri446

JT,

It may be possible to get those hinges that you asked about for as little as 48 cents each with a minimum order of 2000.

RKB

Thanks for sharing. I would take 100 pc when you get them, let me know how and when you need $$. I will mail it to you or paypal.

Rod

eharri446

Thanks for all of the interest shown. Once I make the order and find out what the shipping is going to be, I will post a per hinge price. I am not trying to make any money on these items since it would be impossible for me to use the quantity that I have to order.

eharri446

I do not need a boat load, however, I need more than 10, so I will make a purchase for a large quantity for $78.00 plus shipping. Then any that I do not want I will offer to the members of the forum at cost plus a pro-rated charge per item for the shipping cost. That way everyone wins.

Initially it looked like I would be ordering the minimum which was 1500, however, with the response from the members it may double that amount.

We will see what happens once I hear back from the company that I am dealing with.

jttheclockman

Shipping from China can get tricky. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row and that they will ship to your house and not a transport station and then you have to either get them to ship the rest of the way or you have to pick them up.

eharri446

JT, Thanks for the heads up. I am having it shipped to an address in the US.

I have ordered things from overseas before and so far I have not had any issues.

Skie_M

Let's see ... buy from rockler and get a 10-pack for 13 dollars + shipping and handling of around 7 dollars or more ... call it 20 bucks ...

Or get 200 or more through this guy for the same price ....

Hey, I'ld happily pay 20 bucks for 200! :)

eharri446

I finally got the shipping cost from the supplier and it is $74.00. Add that to the cost of $78.00 for 1500 hinges and the per hinge cost is $.17 each. So I will be selling any that I have extra for $.17 each plus the shipping cost. Once I get them in, I will be putting them into zip lock bags contain 100 pieces or 50 pieces depending on what those who have responded would like to have ordered.

Just so everyone is clear on this, I am not trying to make any money off of these hinges, I am just trying to help defray the cost of getting them cheaper that $1.00 to $1.30 each from either Woodcraft or Rockler.

duncsuss

I finally got the shipping cost from the supplier and it is $74.00. Add that to the cost of $78.00 for 1500 hinges and the per hinge cost is $.17 each. So I will be selling any that I have extra for $.17 each plus the shipping cost. Once I get them in, I will be putting them into zip lock bags contain 100 pieces or 50 pieces depending on what those who have responded would like to have ordered.

Do you think a bag with 100 hinges will fit into a USPS small flat rate box?

Thanks for the update :)

eharri446

Since these hinges are 5mm in diameter by 16mm long, I would see no reason that they would not fit into a USPS small flat rate box. That would mean that someone wanting 100 hinges would be charged around $17.00 for the hinges and $6.80 for the USPS shipping. So the total would be around $24.00.

That means that you are paying $.24 per hinges instead of the $1.00 to $1.30 that you would pay else where.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There is an interesting lesson here!!

Please note the offer is a FANTASTIC DEAL and I am NOT trying to knock the guy for his final offer--it is SUPERB!!!!

However, the quote from China was a nickle. Then, with shipping, etc, it tripled to 17 cents---and, because it is a small order, it will not incur Customs costs, etc. So, when you see these fabulous offers on Ebay and other "Chinese equivalents" (hinges at 5 cents), BE VIGILANT!!! Once all the costs are figured, it is almost guaranteed the cost will double and CAN be quadrupled.

Meanwhile, there is no guarantee on quality---Returns of merchandise are not feasible when the majority of the cost is shipping.

Just a FWIW!!!!!
Ed

eharri446

Ed is correct.

I was going to order the 2500mw Laser Engraver from GearBest with the low cost expedited shipping, but decided to have it sent via DHL instead. Then I got an email telling me that I would have to pay and extra $52.30 to have it shipped via EMS.

So, instead I canceled my order with them and ordered the same item from BangGood for less money and with free expedited shipping.

My reason for ordering these hinges is that I have a lot of domestic hardwoods from a flooring store that went out of business that my wife got for $25.00 and I wanted to use the wood to make pen boxes. However, when I started looking for the hinges they were 10 for $10 or 10 for $13. So I hunted the internet and found a cheaper source. The only fly in the pudding was the quantity that I had to buy (1500). I would have to make 750 pen boxes to use that many hinges myself.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Since this thread is developing into more of an items for sale than a research thread, I am closing it to further discussion.
When eharri446 has the hinges, he will start a new thread in one of the classified forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom