Pen Blanks before glue...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phixius

I thought I'd pass this on... This is a subject that may have been addressed in the past dunno... I know that we all know to "rough" up the tube before glueing... But what about the ends of the tubes. I personally prefer putting Dental base plate wax... (Found mine on Amazon) I put it on the ends before gluing the tube in the blank. So excess glue dont go down the tube. After glue sits for 24hours (I do several at a time so glue has plenty of cure time). Next, I Don't use a pen reamer some kits are so perfect might cut down the tube = wasted kit. I simply sand down to the tube so wood and tube are square and flush. After this I use a dental pick to remove the wax ready to turn... Just what I do any other suggestions... I like new ideas and just thought I'd share this one..
20191218_144231.jpg
20191218_144314.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Kevin, I too use that thin wax and although mine is about 12 years old, it still works.
I cut the blanks close to the correct size so there is not much extra at the ends.
I dig out the wax and clear both ends of glue. Then I put the blank between centers and turn it a consistent diameter all along the length.
Then I put the blanks in my scroll chuck, make sure they are turning true, and use a scraper to square the ends.
At this point I go on the profile and finish the blanks.
These extra steps take time but I am not in a hurry and the ends are always true.

TonyL

some take the precaution of using a little DNA to clean the exterior ends of the tubes where the play doh or wax may have left behind residue

Sataro

I use play-doh sometimes. A lot of times I just cut me a slice or two of potato & use that. Keeps the glue out. After the glue dries, just take a dowel rod & push the potato plugs out.

Roly

I'm with you sataro, If I find the potato is too soft for the purpose I have found raw carrot to be as good if not a bit better.

Woodchipper

My grandson and I took two separate penturning classes at Woodcraft. Nothing to plug the ends. We glued the tube into the blank and turned just after squaring the ends. My pen mill cleans out 98% of any glue in the tube. Any glue left is removed with a fine round file. Never had any problems. Oh yes, rough with 150 sandpaper and wipe with DNA.

Top Bottom