Pen blank jaws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boatemp

Anyone using dedicated blank jaws. The ones that screw onto headstock. Thinking of getting the larger, reversable style. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

I have 1 of the dedicated pen blank chucks from PSI. I don't use it anymore. I made the mistake of thinking I could turn with them. Now the 1 jaw is bent so it doesn't hold the material tight.

boatemp

I have 1 of the dedicated pen blank chucks from PSI. I don't use it anymore. I made the mistake of thinking I could turn with them. Now the 1 jaw is bent so it doesn't hold the material tight.
Maybe you can change the jaws

egnald

I am very happy with the dedicated pen drilling jaws that I have. They are Teknatool Nova Pen Plus Jaws that I bought from WoodCraft that attach to a Teknatool Nova G3 chuck. They are extremely robust with plenty of surface area and length for gripping stock. They grip 1-inch square stock and 3/4-inch round and can be used to turn stock up to 9-10 inches long.

Although they are not the same design as the ones that have been mentioned in the post, they work very well when paired with the G3 chuck which comes with the additional benefit of being able to use other Nova accessory jaws for working with larger, non-pen projects.

Regards,
Dave

RGVPens

Is this what you're talking about? I've been using them, and they work fine. Never tried it yet, but I think they reverse to hold large blanks also.
I think it's PSI #
CSCPENCHK2​
IMG_1032.jpg
IMG_1033.jpg

Mr Vic

I have both the PSI dedicated pen chuck and the pen jaws on my Nova G3. Had the Nova first and it's great. Got the PSI Large Dedicated Pen Blank Drilling Chuck along with other tooling on a buyout of another turner. Both work great but the Nova G3 is more versatile.

boatemp

I already have a Nova with the pen jaws. They are good. I'm putting a lathe in another location and don't need another chuck. Gary has the ones I'm looking into. I guess I'll go with them. Amazon has them for a good price.
Thanks all

jrista

Is this what you're talking about? I've been using them, and they work fine. Never tried it yet, but I think they reverse to hold large blanks also.
I think it's PSI #
CSCPENCHK2​
View attachment 326524View attachment 326525
Looks like they do reverse...you can see the grooves on the outside, and the way they are situated, the longer legs (once flipped inward) would work for larger blanks. Thats pretty cool...

Top Bottom