Pen Blank contamination

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Richard92

Have glued the tube and squared the ends its then on to turning the blank. But am I right here or should I just dab the ends in little bit of thin Ca. I ask this as I have got all the way down to the micro mesh and find on cleaning the ends I have what seems to be leakage between the wood and the ca. Not much but ruins the blank.
Have read a good book by Barry Gross but there is no mention on this.
Any advise welcome please on been doing this 8 months so a lot to learn.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I don't use wood often, but when I do, I dab the ends of the tubed blanks with CA, I believe it sort of stabilises them.

Richard92

Hopefully this helps. I believe its water getting between the ca and the wood when I am miro meshing.

Attachments

• 20200617_160304.jpg
    20200617_160304.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 168

duncsuss

I think you are correct - some moisture gets into the endgrain of the wood, it expands a little and/or the CA delaminates.

I sometimes drip some CA on the ends after trimming/squaring, before turning down (that way I don't forget)

Dieseldoc

I support that by putting CA on ends before turning. What I do after squaring up blank before turning is to install plug in tube both ends drip CA around blank and it does two thing, seals up the end of blank and will fill any void between the tube and blank. Square up blank and turn.

magpens

Richard, I finally see something in your picture. . Took me a while. . Thanks. . The CA seems to have chipped off at the end.

I have sent you a private message (conversation) about this.

By the way (BTW), I assume that your abbreviation, "SOP", means "Standard Operating Procedure". . šŸ˜€

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I always put a drop of thin CA on a piece of wax paper and dab the ends in before wet sanding. Need to seal those ends if wet sanding for sure.

Top Bottom