Pen assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rotor13

Problem assembling pens. The pen blanks split when assembling. Any thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I switched to using gorilla (urethane) glue for gluing in tubes. I believe that the "sponginess" (for lack of a better word) allows for the brass to expand slightly without causing the blank crack. Also I ream and sand the brass prior to assembly - residual glue can cause cracking. You can take this a step further and get to a slip fit with the components (either by sanding or expanding the brass slightly with a steel rod) then use blue thread lock when assembling. Lastly, I assemble on the lathe, which gives me good control. Make sure the ends of the barrel are sanded flush and square before assembly. Also, you can insert one bushing when assembling so that the force is evenly distributed on the end that is not receiving the first component. Just my 2 cents.

magpens

@Rotor13
What kit are you working with ?

It always helps to "ream out" the brass tube ends into which you are pressing the components. ie. slightly enlarge the ends into which you press things.

You can do this with sandpaper wrapped around a wood dowel.

If you overdo that operation, you may have to glue in your components or use Loctite, but that is no harm.

Measures like these are a bit more work but well worth it to avoid cracking the pen barrels.

This cracking problem is most common for small diameter pens such as the slimlines.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
In addition to all the suggestions above, if you don't want to go to a dedicated pen assembly press, but have a drill press, consider a few easy to make attachments. These will aide to keep things aligned, and cost pennies. I've used them for 8 years now.

Attachments

• IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 201

walshjp17

I use a rat-tail file to clean out the tubes before turning and inserting the bushings. I then use a reamer to slightly soften the ends (add an interier chamfer, so to speak) prior to assembly.

Top Bottom