Pen Assembly Headaches

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

malonjw

I had just finished turning a blank today for a Vesper pen from PSI. I pressed the tip adapter in, no problem. Then I started pressing the pen top into the tube and my plastic on the tube broke. This is sure not the first time obviously, but it is so frustrating. Does anyone use a little lube of any kind before pressing the parts together? The parts were straight going together. Any good thoughts or tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I agree first thing is to absolutely be sure there is nothing in the tube. I like to run a file through especially with kits that use a plastic extension that goes in first before the solid component. And yes when doing them I put a dab of vaseline on the plastic part.

Woodchipper

Yep, make sure the tube is clean. Had a problem assembling a pen and found a tiny bit of CA inside. I have a small round file I run around the inside of tubes to make sure they are clean.

walshjp17

I second what everyone above has suggested and also recommend using a reamer if the fit is too tight. Use it lightly and not aggressively to avoid deforming the tube and/or over-loosening the fit.

Dale Allen

I had just finished turning a blank today for a Vesper pen from PSI. I pressed the tip adapter in, no problem. Then I started pressing the pen top into the tube and my plastic on the tube broke. This is sure not the first time obviously, but it is so frustrating. Does anyone use a little lube of any kind before pressing the parts together? The parts were straight going together. Any good thoughts or tips?
This is one case for using TBC bushings when turning. If the bushings are the proper size and fit in the tube ends, there cannot be any glue on the inside of the tube.

Top Bottom