This donation merited it's own thread.​

The IAP Collection

Gratefully Welcomes Pen #34

"Eagle Feather's"

Donated by: OKLAHOMAN

Blank by: "Eagle"

Sterling Silver Components by: "MRedburn"

Turning by: "OKLAHOMAN"

I'll let Roy fill in any background when he has a chance, but for now, he did relate this:

Here is the story:

This pen is a tribute to one of the best blank makers to ever touch a piece of wood. His name was William Presavage better know as Eagle. Eagle was a craftsman in the greatest sense of the word craftsman, harking back to the days when they made their product not with a CNC, Laser, $1,000 table saw, $500.00 drill press, but with mostly hand tools and a table top table saw that was at most $50.00 used.

This blank was a series of blanks he made which he called "Feathers" . Eagle often said you don't need an exotic wood to make an exotic pen and most of his blanks were made from very inexpensive wood like the walnut this one is made from. I was fortunate enough to have called Eagle friend. I acquired his blanks over the years and this is the second blank I have turned since he passed.

I asked Mike Redburn, another artist this pen pays tribute to, to send me a solid Sterling Silver component set for this pen and I think he out did himself. I take very little credit for this pen as all I did was turn it.

Roy
This pen is a donation by OKLAHOMAN in memory "Eagle."​

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

OKLAHOMAN was contacted as one of the Initial IAP Collection contributors. This is a direct addition into the Core Collection as a non-contest donation.

On behalf of IAP... Thank you Roy, Mike, and... Eagle! Your artistry will be appreciated by many who never knew you.

One minor correction however. This is not 'feather' but 'wave'

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View shots of the full pen is here. Showing off both trim and blank.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Note the level of detail on the inlay stripes in the blank.

attachment.php

The blank before it was cut / turned looked like this (note this is not the same blank but another blank built by Eagle.)

attachment.php

This is the end cut off. Here we have a SUPER MACRO showing the detail of the cut and more correctly how it was created. Also note how the segments does not perfect line up as you would get with a modern CNC machine, this is because a CNC was *NOT* used.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A few other noteworthy comments on the pen

The pen is single start threading. If the hardware was double or triple start the pattern will line up correctly in all capping instances.

Attachments

• IMG_9342.jpg
    IMG_9342.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,287
  • IMG_9341.jpg
    IMG_9341.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMG_9344.jpg
    IMG_9344.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_9349.jpg
    IMG_9349.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • IMG_9351.jpg
    IMG_9351.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,074
  • IMG_9355.jpg
    IMG_9355.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_9353.jpg
    IMG_9353.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,051
  • IMG_9332.jpg
    IMG_9332.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 1,087
  • IMG_9335.jpg
    IMG_9335.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_9347.jpg
    IMG_9347.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,049
  • IMG_9372.jpg
    IMG_9372.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,076
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Thank you Ed, for Showing the Superb Artistry, and Craftsmanship, of Eagle, and to Mike, for Giving it Worthy and Magnificent Companion Hardware.
Absolutely Brilliant.
Brian.

Top Bottom