Pen #3 Rosewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ekeogh

ekeogh

Pen #3 another slimline pen but this one is made of Rosewood. I am also using a wooden finish (Doctors Woodshop Pen Finish) that really ads a nice sheen and a preventative wood finish from damage. This will be a set I am trying to make for a good friend. I also purchased a box from Woodcraft to present them in.. I can't believe how the pen turned out I started with a extremely dark wood and I finished with something I didn't quite expect.
#slimlinepen #rosewood #myfirstpenset #edscustomwoodcrafts

Attachments

• 28CBE93A-0B92-486F-B7B6-F223FDC7A4C1.jpeg
    28CBE93A-0B92-486F-B7B6-F223FDC7A4C1.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 225
  • C8CD937A-1DEB-4616-96F7-0349D20E0193.jpeg
    C8CD937A-1DEB-4616-96F7-0349D20E0193.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 6B7F91E8-DDDD-4A37-BC7E-0D56A2DC8A03.jpeg
    6B7F91E8-DDDD-4A37-BC7E-0D56A2DC8A03.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 3BA97972-2B0F-4F8F-AC06-BC4E7B1AE9AE.jpeg
    3BA97972-2B0F-4F8F-AC06-BC4E7B1AE9AE.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ekeogh

I keep getting replies on some social media pen groups to turn the wood down to the bushings but I don't know how to do that and make it so it's not that fat at the nib and cap but don't know how to do that and keep the barrel on the thicker side!!!!!

I keep getting replies on some social media pen groups to turn the wood down to the bushings but I don't know how to do that and make it so it's not that fat at the nib and cap but don't know how to do that and keep the barrel on the thicker side!!!!!

First off, practice, practice and practice some more. I use my lathe tools to get close to the bushings and then sand down to them. With the size of your blanks you'll always have problems with turning to the bushings, you've got to slim it down. If you want some meat left on the pen maybe you should try a different kit. This is a Trim line from PSI...I think. The tip doesn't look turned to the bushings, but it is just a shadow on the edge. And don't be afraid to buy new bushings as they wear out.

elm front.jpg

ekeogh

First off, practice, practice and practice some more. I use my lathe tools to get close to the bushings and then sand down to them. With the size of your blanks you'll always have problems with turning to the bushings, you've got to slim it down. If you want some meat left on the pen maybe you should try a different kit. This is a Trim line from PSI...I think.

View attachment 241279
Is this a 7mm kit

FGarbrecht

I replied on one of your other threads, but if you want a super fat pen that meets the pen parts at the ends you are going to have to put in a taper, which you can easily do by eye. Just keep the thickness you want in the middle of the blank and progressively turn off more as you go toward the ends, using bushing size or actual measurements to show you the limiting thickness at the ends where the end of the blank meets pen part.

You might want to look into kits that are just bigger in general if you want a hefty pen. IMHO a slimline that is superfat is not appealing to me - the whole idea of the slimline is to make a smaller, more elegant design.

Top Bottom