Pele's Fire Norfolk Pine Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kalai

Kalai

Hi everyone, this is a Norfolk Pine bowl that is made from a very rare Norfolk Pine, this pine has a nice heart wood as you can see and I call it Pele's Fire, Pele is the Hawaiian goddess of fire, this is the best that Norflok Pine can get and it is harder to find than curly Koa, I have cut down hundreds of Norfolk Pine trees and have only found 2 of these trees. Enjoy.:)

20071118223829_bowls%20003.jpg

2007111822401_bowls%20005.jpg

Aloha.

Chris
Kalai:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

Great pattern in that grain and beautifully brought out in your bowl!!:):):)
We have thousands (more likely millions) of Norfolk Island Pine trees all over the land of Oz. I have some pieces that I haven't turned yet but some of Our turners have come up with spectacular bowls and platters.
The very best turnings from this timber are done when it is green and on end grain with the natural edge of the circumference of the tree as a highlight. They are turned to about 3mm (1/8") and are almost transparent.
One of the great things about NIP is that the limbs come out ina very regular radial pattern and these leave gorgeous symetrical "eyes" in any turnings.

Kalai

Hi , thanks for all the nice comments.
Louis yes the tree was like this all the way to the top, it was almost 200 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter and we video taped it when I cut it down.:)
Hay R2 do you guys have any Bunya Bunya, there is one over here that I have been wanting to cut down but they are rare over here and I only know of 8 of them.:)
Hi Gary, yse they are knots and I use a laquer finish for most of my bowls:D
Thanks again for the comments. Aloha.

Chris
Kalai[8D]

R2

Sure do Chris! The Bunya Pine is native to the land of Oz. Its scientific handle is Aruacaria Bidwillii. It is a cousin of the Monkey Puzzle Tree from South America. We also have another native Aruacaria - Aruacaria Cuninghamii- variously known as Hoop Pine, Queensland Pine or Dorrigo Pine.
I have a Large outdoor table I made from Bunya Pine and a Dining table made from Hoop Pine. When I get my photographic act together I'll post some pictures.
Both of these timbers are blond and turn exceptionally well.
BTW: DO NOT ever stand under a Bunya pine when it ha sgreen cones on it. They are very large-up to 10+ pounds- and if one fell onyou it coul cause some serious injury or even death. These trees were a source of food fore the A boriginal people who would camp near them to gather the seeds.
Another BTW: Norfolk Island is a beuatiful Island Not far from the coast of Oz in the Pacific. It is self governing and is intimately connected with Australia's early European settlement. This is the Island to which many of the "Bounty" mutineer"s decendents were re-settled.

Top Bottom