Peacock Acrylester Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

This is one of my favorite blanks. I buy a 12 inch spindle and cut it up. I found that I get more stoppers out f it for less money. Peacock Acrylester BS.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice looking bottle stopper Tony. That and ocean mist are my 2 favorite acrylester blanks. They can be a little tricky to turn but are worth the extra care, and they polish up to a great shine. What is your preferred tool for IA?

TonyL

Nice looking bottle stopper Tony. That and ocean mist are my 2 favorite acrylester blanks. They can be a little tricky to turn but are worth the extra care, and they polish up to a great shine. What is your preferred tool for IA?

About 4.5 years ago, IA frustrated me when using carbide. I was only 6 months into turning - so there's was little experience there. However, that motivated to learn how to use a skew (and as importantly sharpen HSS).
Since then I use HSS rough gouging for rounding and turning about 50% off, then use a skew with a Lacer grind for the rest. I will "hit" the carbide (the "Osprey" round, cupped, cutter), for tight spots. Even the toe of the skew. Don't get me wrong; I experience many unexpected design changes (catches, gouges, mistakes, etc.) sometimes.
Ok, back to my day job. Thank you for the compliments. I should add that I sharpen my tools, 5 to 10 times while turning a single BS or barrel.

I had ocean mist in my hand this w/e at Rockler. If you have a finished barrel, I would love to see what it looks like. Thank you.

mecompco

Tony, the stopper looks awesome! Love the look of IA. Have a couple IA stopper blanks cut but haven't tried them yet. I have pretty good luck on IA pen blanks with the old Magical Skew you and I spoke about (preferably with a fresh cutter). Pretty sure I did up a pen in Ocean Mist a couple of years ago--will see if I can dig up a pic.

...I had ocean mist in my hand this w/e at Rockler. If you have a finished barrel, I would love to see what it looks like. Thank you.

I don't think I do because my last ipad died unexpectedly and to make things worse my last iphone was stolen. I lost a ton of pics because my space on the cloud was full. If I had one or the other I'd be ok, but... Sorry

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I don't know how they do it but the teal looks a lot like the finger waves in traditional Japanese art. No telling how any blank will look of course, but I've always been happy with it.

Top Bottom