Pea brained computer , operating system , browser , or me ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

HP Probook 4540s , Windows 10 , Firefox

After Microsoft forced the conversion from Windows 7 to 10 , my laptop started misbehaving . The display changed orientation by 90 degrees at random , sometimes when picking it up or setting it down , when plugging in the charger , when downloading pictures from a card reader , when typing , or when just staring at it . (The malevolence in my glare only began when it switched .)

Resetting it would only last until I entered a program , whether a simple one like Recycle bin , or more complex ones like Firefox , Malwarebytes , Irfanview , Word , Excel , etc . It would hold on Documents , until I drilled down to the point where one of the programs had to open . 15-20 resets made no difference . The only way I could get it to hold was to leave it displaying properly overnight , with the battery nearly dead , and then maybe it would start up okay in the morning , and possibly last for 2 days before starting the cycle again .

Some of the above lead me and my internet provider/local computer dealer to suspect that small voltage changes might be the problem . The battery was on its last legs so a new one was ordered . Worked fine for 4 or 5 days , then decided it was time to switch the display by 180 degrees . That was a bit easier to navigate on the touch pad , as I just had to hold the laptop upside down .

The 180 degree phase lasted about 2 weeks , then on Thursday , sitting in my easy chair , laptop on my lap , I gently picked it up , one hand on each side , to reposition it on my lap , and it instantly (maybe 1-2 seconds) went to 270 degrees . The setting down was not gentle . I banged it a few times on my knees (no bruises showing yet) , and lo and behold m it righted itself !

Does anyone have ideas as to the problem cause , or what I should do? I`m open to just about anything , although I would rather not have to learn my way around a different browser , a Mac , or Linux .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chippa

When I look up that device it has an i3 and 4 gb of ram. its definitely an older and somewhat underpowered device and your issues are most likely due to driver issues with the new os. make sure you're running the 32 bit version and not the 64bit. 64 bit version requires 8gb to have a "good experience" I know trying to find a new laptop might be daunting but you would notice a big improvement. Alternatively you can try to find updated drivers and order a ram upgrade kit.

That being said if you do go the linux route "mint" is a great free operating system that has a windows-ish feel. there is still a learning curve, and depending on the programs you listed there are alternatives but it may not be worth it to you.

hope this helps

sbwertz

It could be that the connection in the hinge between the keyboard and the display is shorting out. Constantly opening and closing the lid on a laptop can fray the wires from the computer to the display and shorts can result. The switch to 10 could just have been a coincidence. Sometimes it causes static in the display, sometimes the display will just go black. I don't think I've ever seen one rotate, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be caused by a short. Moving the laptop with the screen open can cause minor movement in the hinge that could be triggering the short.

You can try reloading the operating system. If that doesn't make any difference, it's probably a hardware problem.

Something else to try...plug an external monitor in and see if it rotates when you move the laptop. If the external monitor rotates, it is a software problem. If it doesn't, it's a hardware problem.

Lucky2

Wayne, I have no idea of what is wrong with your computer, But I did want to make a comment from the peanut gallery. If you are considering purchasing a new computer, you should definitely give the Chrome books a serious looking over. I had always owned Dell computers in the past, but when I was looking for something to take the place of my desk top model. I was convinced to buy an Acer Chrome unit, I could almost kiss the person's butt that convinced me to buy it. It has been a pleasure to use such a nice working computer, since 2014 and still going strong. There's been no crashes to deal with, and very few upgrades compared to the Window systems were. It doesn't do all of the things a full-blown computer will do, but its done everything I've ever needed to do. I am in the process of starting to look for a new computer, it will be a Chrome unit, I'm just not sure of what is currently available. Things like size and power are important to me, and who now sells them locally.

Len

drise

If you go to settings > system > display and scroll down do you see a slider that says rotation lock? If that is off turn it on and see if that helps.

aldjmc

Hit CTRL + ALT + Up Arrow and your Windows desktop should return to landscape mode. You can rotate the screen to portrait or upside-down landscape, by hitting CTRL + ALT + Left Arrow, Right Arrow or Down arrow

tomas

Since it started after the upgrade, I would go to a restore point prior to when the problem started and do a restore.

My $0.02.

Tomas

sbwertz

You can't go back to a restore point when you have upgraded from 7 to 10. And it is VERY difficult to roll the OS back to 7. There will be no restore points before the upgrade.

Top Bottom