PC help again please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Last week my desk top Dell was getting slower on start up. Finally got to 30 minutes to boot up. Susanne said to push the reset button on the back. I did that and now the monitor has a black screen with a moving box that says INPUT NOT SUPPORTED. I'm using my phone right now and hate it. Any ideas how to get the monitor to come back on

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

It sounds like you changed the mode (VGA vs DVI for example).
If the monitor has an auto-reset, use that.
Otherwise, hit the button again 'til you get back to the proper mode.

That said, 30 minutes to boot is a problem in need of a solution.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Chuck...

My son thinks... The monitor no longer is recognizing what the computer is sending it. May have fried the "video drivers" - software that formats the info from the computer.

Hard shut-downs are never good, so my son thinks that Suzanne owes you a new computer :eek:

Hopefully other IAP members will have more rosy (and informed) thoughts!

Gary's ideas are promising!

FWIW... I have had many Dell's with my school. And the last was my personal laptop. Same symptoms as you described - I had NO luck getting it to work and had to buy a new one. Hopefully, you may be able to save the hard drive storage files.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
It sounds like you changed the mode (VGA vs DVI for example).
If the monitor has an auto-reset, use that.
Otherwise, hit the button again 'til you get back to the proper mode.

That said, 30 minutes to boot is a problem in need of a solution.

Thanks Gary. The button I pushed VGA orwas on the tower. And none of the buttons on the monitor do anything except the power button. I don't know what VGA or DVI even means. I did read that the computer is sending more resolution than the monitor can handle. But I don't know how to fix this if I can't see the screen. Dell wants $130. For a one time analysis. That will hurt.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mark Thanks to trimming and your son. Thi Dell I 14 months old. I am still paying for it. But I've seldom been one to purchase an extended warranty. My last two computers lasted me for several years each.
I'm not good enough salesman to convince Susanne that ineed a new computer. Lol

manik

It's been a while but here are a couple things to try.

Do you here any beeps when it is trying to boot?
The beeps mean something to the real nerds, I just know that they indicate how far through boot process the computer has made it. It also says that the processor and the memory are working enough to start booting.

turn the computer off and unplug it. Then open up the tower and look for the back up battery, it should be a little coin size CR3202 kind of battery.
Pry it out, remembering what side is up and leave it out for 30 sec. This should reset the memory to default and then put the battery back in and reboot.

If the computer comes back up then it was a software issue and you can reload windows.
If not, then it is probably a hardware issue and that is problematic if you do not have old components setting around to swap out.

The other thing to try is right after turning the computer on, hit the "f2" key repeatedly and see if the computer will boot to BIOS. (like i said it has been a while and it may be the "f3" key) I hit the function key every second or 2 until the computer beeps and start to boot to bios. - Bios is a funny screen that lets the nerds do all kinds of iffy things to the computer to try and get more speed out of it, but for your needs it tells you the hardware is working and you need to put a win disk in and try to reboot to win install.

If not, then it is probably a hardware issue and you need a computer repair guy local that needs a new pen.

The 30 min to boot seems like a hard drive issue, virus or bad sector. IF you can get it to boot then a low level format would be in order. Again, at this point, you need a local that needs a pen.

Good luck, it's hard to trouble shoot without being able to lay hands on.....sigh

mecompco

Let's start here: Does the computer power up at all? Any lights, noises, etc.?

When you hit the "reset" button, which button did you actually push? It's been a long time since I've seen an actual reset button on a PC. Did you move the power switch on the back (assuming it has one, many don't) from "1" to "0"? If so, did you move it back? I'm assuming you didn't fiddle with the 110/220 switch on the power supply.

If the computer actually powers up, and you have no display (and you didn't unplug/fiddle with it), I agree that the monitor might have switched modes--VGA is analog, pretty much anything else is digital (HDMI, DVI, etc.). Attached is a png of popular video port types.

Your monitor will have a menu button, with the computer on (assuming it comes on), press the menu button and read through the choices. There will be a choice for input--if it's on Analog and you have no display, try Digital. You can also try "Factory Reset" or language to that effect.

That should work. Hard resets are best avoided, but often necessary. I'm sure your hard drive was not affected by the restart though is MAY be having read issues per your comment on long boot times (oh, and we don't "low level" format hard drives any more--that was back in the "good old days"). :biggrin:

Let us know how you fare.

Regards,
Michael

Attachments

• video-ports1.png
    video-ports1.png
    405.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Michael. It powers up. No beep and only sound is the fan running. I'll pull the cover off after work today and do as Mark suggested. Look for anything obvious. Used to hear sounds from the hard drive. But don't now. Not good.

Ed McDonnell

I'll second Gary's suggestion and go one further. Based on Chuck's replies so far in this thread, I would suggest Chuck not even think about opening up the case to his computer without adult supervision standing by. Poking something that doesn't want to be poked in the way that you might go about poking it can get expensive fast.

If Chuck posts the model number for the computer and the monitor it would help those trying to help him.

Also, a clear picture of whatever button you pushed on the back might be helpful. While you are getting the picture make sure all you cables are fully inserted (especially the one from the monitor (at both ends). If you have unplugged and replugged anything on the back during the time you were trying to fix things it might help if you disclosed that.

Ed

Last edited:

Rick_G

I would suggest you don't try and pull the battery. Half the computers I have seen lately it is soldered in. Pry that out and you will destroy a section of the circuit board. I have never seen a computer with a reset button on the back so not sure what you pushed. Then again I haven't seen a Dell computer for years since working on some when I was working. They are grossly overpriced for what you get. I generally to to Tiger Direct get the parts I need and put a top of the line machine together for about $600 or less.

mecompco

Any updates? Simply powering off should not damage the machine. Could be a number of things. As long as the monitor is in the correct mode, you should see the POST. Does it have a separate video adapter, or built-in? After verifying that the monitor is in the correct mode and all cables are tight, my next step would be to unplug the power and open the box.

Check that all internal cables are tight. Ground yourself, then pull the RAM and put it back in--that often will fix issues (if you have a built-in video card, it is using the system RAM). If that doesn't work, pull one stick and try it. If no go, put it back and pull the other. You could have a bad stick of RAM. If still no go, pull the data cable from the hard drive and try it (always unplug the power before doing any of this--even with the front power switch off, the motherboard is getting power). If you DO have an add-on video card, pull it and put it back in, that can fix this sort of issue as well.

Let us know what you find.

Michael

PS A bad CMOS battery CAN cause odd problems, but I'd not expect one this new to be bad. If it is removable (look for the little clip), you will need to set the CMOS settings back up after you replace it, so be aware of that.

PPS I don't know what the consumer protection laws are in your state, but here in Maine there is a four year implied warranty of merchantability for consumer goods (computers included).

Last edited:

GaryMGg

Chuck
An out of range video error often means the refresh rate is too high.
A year old PC may have a video card with multiple inputs.
If your Dell has 2, and you have another monitor, you should be able to move the current monitor to the 2nd input, put the other on the now unused input, and then use the new one to reset the original.
It's easier to do than to write.
Let us know the model and what button you pushed.

mecompco

Chuck
An out of range video error often means the refresh rate is too high.
A year old PC may have a video card with multiple inputs.
If your Dell has 2, and you have another monitor, you should be able to move the current monitor to the 2nd input, put the other on the now unused input, and then use the new one to reset the original.
It's easier to do than to write.
Let us know the model and what button you pushed.

I'd still expect to see the POST, as the video driver hasn't loaded at that point. From the OP, nothing was changed, just a re-boot. It would help to know what model this machine is.

Michael

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
OK friends, here's what I did when I got home from work. I took the computer and, monitor to a friends shop fearing I couldn't afford him again. He hooks up to his bench monitor and, it works. So, he went ahead and checked for any infections and, found some malware which, he removed and installed new ANTI-everything :rolleyes:. So I says GREAT.....now let's see if it works with MY monitor. Didn't work. So he plugs the monitor into a bench PC and, it worked. I tell him about adjusting the resolution. While it's working he lowers the resolution setting then plugs it back into my PC. Great it worked until, he shut it down and, rebooted it. Right back to "Input Not Supported" I was convinced the monitor was not maintain the resolution setting. He said he had another monitor he would sell me cheap. I said, "Let's try it". Worked out fine so far. I am using it now.

Sorry if I caused any confusion or inconvenience. You guys are great for trying to help out and, I appreciate it very much. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

GaryMGg

If you put the original monitor back on, boot into Safe mode with VGA and set the monitor rate correctly, it should work properly.
No purchase needed.
The video setting is machine specific; it's not stored on the monitor per se.
When he lowered the resolution on his bench PC, it didn't help you because he didn't reset your video setting.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
If you put the original monitor back on, boot into Safe mode with VGA and set the monitor rate correctly, it should work properly.
No purchase needed.
The video setting is machine specific; it's not stored on the monitor per se.
When he lowered the resolution on his bench PC, it didn't help you because he didn't reset your video setting.
He said, for some reason it was going back to the same setting on it's own. He had no idea why it kept doing that. I didn't either.:redface: He did LOTS of things as I watched but, had no clue which nor, what it was.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Glad you are back in business ! We all will send you our bill :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:!

Take Care.

IWC

Hard to diagnose without actually putting my hands on it. If you want to pay shipping I will fix it for free, I have LOTS of spare parts around my shop. Pen turning and PC's are my hobbies. I don't mind helping out a fellow pen turner.

manik

I am glad you have a solution!

I would ask if when he had your monitor plugged into his computer and then plugged it into you PC and it worked until he rebooted, were the monitor and the PCs powered up at the time?

If the monitor has some kind of a "self detect" capability where it talks to the PC and figures out the "best" resolution, then manually setting the resolution and moving the cable from one powered up PC to another may explain the issue.

I would say there is a conflict between your PC, video card, your monitor and your operating system.

I think the operating system got set to tell the video card to go to a certain resolution that your monitor can not handle before you rebooted back when this all started.

Probably set by one of the viruses and now that the virus is cleaned out, the video card is still set to boot to that resolution.

So,it would take some experimentation and research on your video card and monitor to see if my theory is correct.

Or you can stick with your "new" monitor and go make some pens.

Which would be my choice if I was in your shoes.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I am glad you have a solution!

I would ask if when he had your monitor plugged into his computer and then plugged it into you PC and it worked until he rebooted, were the monitor and the PCs powered up at the time?

If the monitor has some kind of a "self detect" capability where it talks to the PC and figures out the "best" resolution, then manually setting the resolution and moving the cable from one powered up PC to another may explain the issue.

I would say there is a conflict between your PC, video card, your monitor and your operating system.

I think the operating system got set to tell the video card to go to a certain resolution that your monitor can not handle before you rebooted back when this all started.

Probably set by one of the viruses and now that the virus is cleaned out, the video card is still set to boot to that resolution.

So,it would take some experimentation and research on your video card and monitor to see if my theory is correct.

Or you can stick with your "new" monitor and go make some pens.

Which would be my choice if I was in your shoes.
Yes!:biggrin:

Top Bottom